Kitchen Corner

May 8, 2008

Curry Bun

I learned this curry bun in Sam's workshop. He called this "no-time dough method". I guess that is because the dough only need one proofing time. I changed the bun fillings by adding some chicken cubes rather than just only potato cubes so that it won't be too boring for me. Of course you could change your curry recipe instead of using the original recipe as I found the taste quite boring. Somehow, I found sambal chili with onion or chili sardines are quite tasty too! This recipe could make 10 buns, however, I reduce it to half as there are only two of us. (Original recipe from Sam) Ingredients for the bun: 300g Bread Flour 10g Milk powder 2 tsp Bread improver 20g Sugar 1 tsp Salt 6g Yeast 1 Egg 120g Water 20g Butter Some lime leaves and slices chilli for decoration Method for the bun: 1. Place all the ingredients in the dough mixer except butter. Knead till the side of the bowl is clean. 2. Add in butter and knead till well developed. 3. Remove the dough and divide into 10 x 50g pieces. Roll the dough out and wrap 50g of curry potato filling. Shape and place the dough in a baking cup on a baking pan. 4. Proof the bread till double in bulk, approximately 1 hour. 5. Preheat the oven to 200'C. Brush the surface lightly with egg glaze. 6. Bake at 200'C for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Brush with oil when baked to give a glossy finish. Decorate wtih lime leaf and sliced chili. Curry potato filling: 1 tbsp Olive oil 1 medium yellow onion - cut cubes 3 medium potatoes - steam or boiled, peeled & cut cubes 1 tbsp curry powder or more 1 tsp salt Method for curry potato filling: 1, Heat up frying pan. Add in olive oil and onions. Stir fry till fragrant. 2. Add in potatoes cubes, curry powder and salt (to taste). Stir fry till evenly mixed. 3. Cool the filling before use. Divide the filling into 50g portions.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, can I use a breadmaker to knead the dough for this? Do I let it knead for 30 min then take it out to shape (without allowing it to proof yet)? Thanks!
Kellie

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Kellie,
Yes, you could use breakmaker to do the kneading. This is a "straight dough method", so it's without 1st or 2nd proofing. Just divide the dough then roll the dough out and wrap 50g of curry potato filling. Shape and place the dough in a baking cup on a baking pan for proofing till double in bulk, approximately 1 hour. Happy baking!

Anonymous said...

hi..may i ask,this bun can be hold for how long..i mean after its baked and ready to eat, how many days can we keep it until its expired?thanks..nice job however..looks delicious~:)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jiha,
I shall say the bun good to serve in 24 hours from the time it's finish bake. I've not tried to keep more than that as I afraid the curry filling will expired. But, I suppose the bun will keep well in the freezer with well wrapping. Then reheat in the oven before serve. Cheers!

Roo said...

Hi :)
I stumbled across your blog while looking up polo bao recipes and I've been busy bookmarking recipes to try! If I may ask, what is the "bread improver" that your recipe calls for?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Roo.
When I was first started on learning bread making, I use bread improver but after a while I've been stop using it especially for homemade. Bread improver help to produce softer texture of bread as as longer too.

Alice said...

Hi, as u are saying u stop using the bread improver .. That means we don't have to put the bread improver in this recipe is it ??

Alice said...

Hi, as u are saying u stop using the bread improver .. That means we don't have to put the bread improver in this recipe is it ??

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Alice,
This recipe ask for bread improver but you can choose not to add any. However, I recommend you to try out the tang thong method which give a better texture without adding improver.