Kitchen Corner

July 11, 2008

Ciabatta 意大利拖鞋面包

I was advised that this recipe would be very difficult to make, especially for a "fresh" bread maker like me! However, I would still like to try it because I'm crazy about its crusty texture with the soft crumbs. Ciabatta was originated from Italy and it's named as "拖鞋面包" by the Italian because the bread's shape looks similar to their traditional sandal. Somehow I didn't manage to produce a perfect "sandal" alike shape as the dough was really hard to handle. Well, I believe practice makes perfect! The bread smells very good and it gave us a very crusty texture. It just reminds us the sandwich we had in Europe years ago. Ingredients (2 loafs) Sour dough: 1/2 teaspoon instant dried yeast / 150ml water / 3 tablespoon milk / 1/4 teaspoon sugar / 150g bread flour Plain dough: 1/2 teaspoon instant dried yeast / 250ml water / 1/2 tablespoon olive oil / 350g bread flour / 1 1/2 teaspoon salt Method:
  1. Mix all the sour dough ingredients in a bowl then cover with cling film and leave it overnight or 12 hours.
  2. Mix all the plain dough ingredients with over night sour dough in a mixer with dough hook for about 15 minutes. It would be very wet.
  3. Use a dough scraper to scrap out the dough into a clean bowl for 3 hours proofing.
  4. Floured your hand and a baking tray with lots of flour. Divide the dough into 2 portion with a scraper then turn out one of the dough to the floured baking tray. Do it gently, do not punch out the gas from the dough.
  5. Gently stretch the dough into longish shape with floured hand.
  6. Floured your hand again and slowly fold in the edges around the dough. Do the same with another dough.
  7. Let the doughs proof for 20 minutes then bake in the preheat oven 220'C for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

5 comments:

martina said...

Congratulations! You've done a perfect italian ciabatta. Ciabatta is the italian name for slipper, not for sandal...and the pictures remember me ciabatta's sandwich I eat when I was young in the hot afternoon of the summer in Italy. Usually my sister and I got from our grandma ciabatta with ricotta cheese and sugar on top...deliciuos! and sometimes I eat it too!

Anonymous said...

I love the Ciabatta very much! The texture is as good as the "foot long" sandwich dough of Subway! Great job!

Ivory said...

Hi, may I know for the sour dough, do I leave it overnight in the fridge or at room temperature?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Ivory,
I kept the sour dough overnight at room temperature.

Anonymous said...

Love ciabatta, thank you so much for posting!