Kitchen Corner

August 15, 2008

Polo Bun 菠萝包

I was inspired by a Hong Kong drama as I saw the actors ate the polo buns are so delicious. Then, I looked for this recipe from the internet and finally I've got this wonderful recipe with full explanation and step by step decriptions. The bread was made as usual, proof for one hour then punch out the gas and portion it to rest for 15 minutes. Then cover with the polo pastry and proof for another one hour and just wait for the 15 minutes of baking you could have a yummy polo bun. It's really smell good while I was waiting for it to come out from the oven. I like its cottony soft texture, and the crumbly polo pastry outside the bread. It's so tasty! PS: It's yummy to eat plain as it is. I tried insert a piece of cheese and bake in the oven for the next day and it's wondeful. My other half likes to eat it with kaya. Whatever it is...it's delicious! Recipe makes 4 buns: For the bread: 150g bread flour / 1 tbsp milk powder / 1/4 tsp salt / 30g sugar / 1 tbsp beaten egg / 1 tsp yeast / 70g water / 15g butter For the polo pastry: 50g plain flour / 25g sugar powder / pinch of salt / 1 tbsp beaten egg / 30g butter

How I made the polo bun:

  1. Knead all the bread ingredients with the dough hook mixer for 15 minutes then proof for one hour.
  2. Punch out the gas and divide it into 4 portions then rest for 15 minutes.
  3. Make the polo pastry: beat the butter until pale and fluffy then gradually add in sugar powder, salt and milk powder.
  4. Gradually add in beaten egg till everything combine.
  5. Gently fold in plain flour, don't over mix the pastry. You might find it too sticky, add a little flour but not too much.
  6. Divide it into four portions. I let it sit in the fridge for half and hour. (it would be much easier to handle later on)
  7. Take a polo pastry on the left hand and a dough at right hand. Push the dough into the polo pastry from outside to inside by turning the palm of your left hand until 3/4 of the dough has place inside the polo pastry. (follow the photos show at the original website)
  8. Place the dough seal side down and egg wash it then use a sharp knife gently draw chequer pattern on the pastry surface.
  9. Let it proof for 1 hour then bake at 180'C preheated oven for 15 minutes.
  10. It's delicious when you eat it fresh. I did reheat in the oven for couple of minutes on the next day and it's still yummy!

16 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi!
Your polo bun is sooo pretty! I didn't think much of polo bun previously until I saw that you had made it so nicely! Toast Box sells this and I never thought of trying as I don't really fancy it. But now that I seen this, and you had made it, makes me feel like trying! Thanks for the link to the website with the details. I shall try it then. :)

Jane

Anonymous said...

Hi,

The Polo bun looked delicious and i really like to try it.

I have one question, can I use normal sugar or icing sugar instead of sugar powder?

Thanks n regards

Chin

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,

I haven't tried to use normal sugar to make the polo pastry before. But I guess icing sugar same as sugar powder. You could give it a try by using icing sugar. Please let me know if it's work. Thanks! Happy Baking!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

for the polo pastry, maybe i know how many gm of milk powder? I think u forgot to put there.

thanks

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
1/2 tsp of milk powder for polo pastry. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for the recipe. I used caster sugar instead of sugar powder or icing sugar. My family loves it very much :) They even asked for more.. but this recipe only can made 4 buns. Well.. I'm happy that they like it.
Thanks n regards

Chin

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
I'm so glad that you had successful in making the polo bun. You could double up the ingredietns to make 8 buns instead. Happy Baking!

Doris said...

Hi, I enjoy baking and i have been looking for polo bun recipe i wl try it ! Doris

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Doris,
Looking forward to hear from you! Happy baking!

Rikku said...

used this recipe quite alot of times, very nice.

heres my blog:
http://bakingandbread.blogspot.com/

hope to link up with everyone, thanks.

FantasyElf said...

Hello,
Does this bread recipe use a breadmachine? thank you

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi FantasyElf,
I used a dough hook mixer to knead the dough. I believe that breadmachine could make this bread too!

chucchy said...

the buns look really good. i'm looking forward to trying out this recipe. i hope they turn out fine, fingers crossed! :)

butterfly said...

These were fabulous. I did without a machine-just added some of the sugar to the yeast and 110 F. water and let it foam-then added the rest for the bread. I think I'd make the bread the size of walnuts next time and make twice as much-since my yeast was great and they rose to be quite big. I used 700 g. flour for the bread (1 lb. 9 oz. flour). I'm making these often! Great recipe!

Anonymous said...

Can i omit the milk powder?

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just wondering, most of the polo buns at the bakery have this buttermilk paste kinda filling that I think goes very well with the bun... Do you have recipe for that? Thanks