Kitchen Corner

December 4, 2008

Wholemeal Bread 全麦土司

I'd failed on making this bread before until recently I'd like to give myself another try as I'm very keen about wholemeal bread. This time, I've got the right texture and better appearance unlike the failed one which was rough crumbs and the shape was rectangular rather than square.
I think I could bake this bread quite often now for my breakfast as I probably know the mistake which is insufficient kneading. The recipe extracted from 孟老师的100到面包. After reading this recipe book, I've understand some the bread making technique and that's increase my confidence on making bread. Although it's not hundred percent similar with the commercial one but it's good enough as a homemade bread. I'm quite happy with the result as I've got the soft crumbs and right texture, it could be even store until the 3rd day and yet soft.

The recipe could be extracted from Happy Home Baking, she is one of my idol chef and very experience in making bread. Happy browsing!

8 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi KC,
I was wondering did you use Instant Yeast for this bread recipe? It rises so nicely. For some occasions, my bread doesn't rise so well, I suspect it's the yeast!. :-P Thx!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
I used 4g (1 tsp) instant yeast for this bread. There're many reason cause the dough cannot rise up for example my previous attempt which I didn't give it enough of kneading. The dough should be smooth and elastic.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, good to hear that you get the bread right this time :)
I love the soft texture of this loaf, and even though it is baked with wholemeal flour, my kids didn't complain about it.
btw, I really don't have much experience when it comes to baking, and certainly not bread making...there are still tonnes of things I don't know :p

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi HHB,
I love the soft texture of the bread too! For me, you're very good in baking, at least you're much more experience than me :)

Anonymous said...

Hi KC,
I have tried this recipe twice but the end result wasn't satisfactory. The dough did not rise very well during the final proving before baking. It rose to only about half of the tin instead of the 80% as mentioned in the recipe.

Nicole

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Nicole,
Don't be upset, I failed many times for this recipe too! But finally, I realized that was my mistake that didn't knead until the dough become smooth and elastic. I'm not sure how you manage the dough. There are many reason could cause the dough not rise. May be room temperature was too cold or hot, expired yeast, wrong measurement of ingredients, over proofing, oven temperature not right etc. The dough should be smooth and elastic consistency rather than a sticky dough. Please try again. Look forward to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Hi KC,
Thanks for the reply. I hand-mixed the ingred. A and thereafter mixed it with ingred. B in the dough mixer for about 15mins. Could it be the kneading time in the mixer is not enough. How long do you knead in the mixer? I will try again one more time and let you know of the outcome.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Nicole,
I think my mixer need longer time for the kneeding approximately 20 minutes. However, every mixer is different. The most important is the dough shouldn't be sticky. I knead the ingredients at low speed until everything come together. Then turn to medium speed. Once everything combine, use the speed 3to do the final kneeding until smooth and elastic. Happy Baking!