Kitchen Corner

May 24, 2009

Polo Bun 菠萝包 (2)

I made this polo bun quite often but there is a difficulty in handling the pastry as the butter melt very fast and cause it sticking on my hand while I'm trying to gather the dough with the pastry. Recently, I found another solution which would be much easier to handle. The original recipe asked to beat the butter until pale and fluffy then gradually add in sugar powder, salt and milk powder and beaten egg till everything combine. With this method you would get a wet pastry paste which you may need to store in the fridge for some time to harden before use (but it'll melt very fast in this hot weather, so it's not easy to handle).
For the new method, cut the cold butter into 1cm pieces (store them in the fridge if there start melting). With the same method as shortcrust pastry, process the flour, sugar powder, cold butter in a food processor till the butter mix thoroughly with the flour like the fine breadcrumbs. Add 1 tablespoon of beaten egg then pulse several times until its become a chunky breadcrumbs but not a dough (don't over process). Turn the pastry out onto a clean, floured work surface and, with floured hands, bring together to make a dough, but don't knead. Shape into a flattened ball, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Divide the pastry into pieces and it's ready to use. I found that the texture is much better and most wonderful thing is, it's easily to put together the dough with the pastry.

14 comments:

Mary said...

these buns look great to fill and eat!

Happy Homebaker said...

Your polo buns look so good!!

I always have problem working with cookie-like dough as I have a warm pair of hands. I tried making some cookies by hand instead of using a food processor (I don't have one), the original recipe is exactly the same as you have described, but my cookies didn't turn out well, they didn't look anything close to the pictures from the cookbook :'(

Kitchen Corner said...

Thanks Mary!

Hi HHB,
Thanks! I tried to make things much easier and hope this would help others too!
Before I've a food processor, I used a 'pastry scraper' or 'dough scraper' to cut through the cold butter with flour till its become a fine breadcrumbs then add the egg. When everything become a chunky breadcrumbs then use floured hand to put the pastry together (don't over work) and chill in the fridge. Some people buy pastry cutter but I find the scraper is good enough for me. Anyway, hope this could help and I found most of your pastry look really good! Cheers!

quizzine said...

I love Polo Buns!

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
Your polo buns are so beautifully golden brown. I like how nicely you sliced the top. The squares seemed like cut from a cutter! Hahaha... Are you a perfectionist? ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Grace,
Wah, yet another yummy looking bread post from you! Keep it coming, even though I don't get to taste any of these delicious bakes, but I still cannot get enough of it?! Haha!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane,
I'm not a perfectionist :( but I think with the new method of making the pastry, everyone would be able to cut the pastry nicely. You too!

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
Thanks! You could try out this recipe. Cheers...

Passionate About Baking said...

Hey Grace, sorry, not meant to offend you in saying that. I wish I'm a perfectionist you know. Because many times I do things, my attitude is "can can, cannot cannot". A perfectionist will ensure that everything that comes out is good! :p

Kitchen Corner said...

Hey Jane,
Sorry for what huh!?? :) With all your experiences and passion, you will definately become a perfectionist. As for me, YOU ARE and always....!!

Bits said...

Wow! A Hong Kong traditional pastry? This is awesome.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Bits of Taste,
Yes, this is kind of Hong Kong traditional pastry. Cheers!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, thanks for the info. Instead of the scraper, I used a fork to cut thru the butter ;)

Elyse said...

The polo buns look fabulous! I loved reading about the different technique. Sounds great! Obviously, it worked out really well for you--these look awesome.

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Hi Grace,
Just dropping you a note to say thank you for this recipe. I used it for the bread dough, it was very good and stayed fresh and soft even on the 2nd day. The crust dough was a bit brittle but that was bcos I did something wrong, I froze it for 10 min bcos I was running short of time. I am gonna re-attempt this polo crust dough recipe when I have the time. :)

Thank you!