For some reason I've got to bake this cake. Simple yet suit for everyone appetite. A combination of chocolate sponge, strawberries, fresh cream and chocolate fudge turn it into an ordinary celebration cake.
For the sponge: 4 whole large eggs/100g sugar/1g salt/80g plain flour/2g baking soda/12ml oil/40ml milk 16g cocoa powder
For the filling: 120ml fresh cream/strawberries (cut in half)
For the chocolate fudge: 50g cocoa powder/125ml water/200ml evaporated milk/100g sugar/1/2 tsp salt/1 tsp vanilla extract/2 egg yolks/60g cornflour/60g butter
How I made it:
- Mix cocoa powder, milk and oil until a thick paste, set aside.
- Whip the eggs and gradually add in sugar. Whip until very light yellow and fluffy.
- Fold in shifted plain flour and baking soda. Do this gently.
- Fold in cocoa paste (1) until well combine. Pour into two round 8 inches baking tin. Bake at 200'C preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, whip the fresh cream with some icing sugar if desire. Spread some whipped cream on a sponge and place with some strawberries. Spread the left over whipped cream on the strawberries then sandwich with another layer of sponge.
- For the chocolate fudge, mix all the fudge ingredients except butter cook in a double boiler and keep on stirring with a hand whisk until the mixture thickens. Lastly add in the butter until a smooth consistency. Gently spread the fudge on top and side of the cake. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours then top with some strawberries.