Kitchen Corner

June 24, 2008

Fruity Wholemeal Bread

This is a wholemeal bread recipe given by a guru I knew recently. As he knows I'm very keen about wholemeal bread, therefore he shares this recipe with me. This bread contains nearly 25% wholemeal flour which is more than the basic wholemeal bread I have tried previously.

The original recipe was written it is optional to add some sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. I found that it is a good idea to add something in the bread so that it makes a little bit different from the previous bread I've made. Furthermore, added those seeds, nut or dried fruits could increase some nutrition. Therefore, I've added some sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds as well as some dried cherries and raisin to make it a fruity flavor.

When I cut out a slice, I found those little dried cherries looks quite pretty attaching the bread. If I will make this bread again, some dried apricot, dried mango, or other dried fruits and nuts will be adding in as well. I loves the wholemeal smell with every bite of dried fruits and seeds that I don't even need to spread jam or peanut butter on it. If you are a fan of wholemeal bread, why not give it a try!

Recipe from guru:

  • 250g bread flour
  • 80g wholemeal flour
  • 30g sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 5g yeast
  • 1 egg
  • 150g ice water
  • 15g milk
  • 30g butter

Optional ingredients:

  • 10g sunflower seeds (toasted)
  • 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (toasted)
  • some dried cherries, raisin or others dried fruits and nuts

Method:

  • Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  • Gradually add in all the wet ingredients and mix it by a flat beater at low speed until everything just combine.
  • Add butter continue to mix for 1 or 2 minutes.
  • Change to a dough hook continue kneading for about 20 minutes at medium speed.
  • Off the machine and clear the stick dough at side of the bowl and add 1 tablespoon bread flour. Continue kneading for few seconds.
  • Knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface until the dough smooth but not sticky.
  • Mix pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds into the dough.
  • Shape it into a smooth round dough, cover with cling film and let it rest for 20 minutes.
  • Knead the dough and punch out the gas.
  • Divide the dough into three equal pieces and roll to form three even 'ball' shapes.
  • Flatten a dough and roll out into a longish shape. Roll up the dough like a Swiss-roll.
  • Flatten the rolled-up dough and roll out again into a long rectangular shape. Add in some dried fruits on top then roll up the dough tightly.
  • Do the same for the other two remaining doughs. Place the rolled dough in a greased bread tin.
  • Spray with some water around the tin. Place it in the oven with door close, proof for 60 minutes without lid on.
  • Put the lid on when the dough rise near to the top. Take out the tin from the oven and preheat the oven at 190'C.
  • Bake approximately 40 minutes or until golden brown. (I increased the temperature to 210'C for extra 10 minutes until the bread had a golden brown color).
  • Take out the bread to cool down before slicing into pieces. Store leftover bread in airtight container without slicing it into pieces to let it stay fresh for the next serving.

9 comments:

Faery said...

yummmmm, It looks wonderful, thanks for sharing the recipe for this beautiful bread

Kitchen Corner said...

Thanks faery!

michelle said...

I have tried the recipe last night and very happy 'cos for the first time that my loaf reach up to the top of the tin but just too bad that I did not grease the tin as it stick to the cover. Anyhow I have a nice loaf of square bread. Million thanks for the recipe.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Michelle,
I'm glad that you like the recipe. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

the bread looks really wonderful! just wondering if this bread keeps soft because it uses more water than milk and i heard that it is the milk that keeps it soft. anyway, it really looks yummy heheh.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
Yes, milk can keep the bread soft longer. It just happen that this recipe using water but not milk. You can try to replace with milk. Anyway, the bread stay soft the second day, then the third day I would nomrally toast it and it's still yummy! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

hi! I'm shudzri.It' gonna be my first time ever making breads. I find yours is the easiest recipe so far. hope to try making it by next week.let you know soon

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have tried out the recipe and it was really great! But I would like to know how come my dough still remains sticky, even after kneading for quite sometimes? Thanks!=)

Tam Dang said...

Dear Kitchencorner,

In the ingredients list, we have
10g sunflower seeds (toasted)
2 tbsp sunflower seeds (toasted)

However later you mentioned 'mixed sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds into the dough'. Could you please kindly advise how much pumpkin seeds we need and total sunflower seeds is 10g+2tbsp ?
Thanks
Tam Dang