Kitchen Corner

December 9, 2008

Pumpkin Chiffon Cake

Chiffon cake is my favorite dessert. It's light and taste very refreshing after storing in the fridge. I've some leftover pumpkin in the fridge and thinking to make this pumpkin chiffon last weekend. For this recipe, the pumpkin suppose to be steamed with its skin which is in green color but I peeled it days ago. So, I replace the green skin with some pumpkin seeds. Normally I'd bake all my chiffon at 160'C according to my oven thermometer. After reading my friend's blog, she recommended to turn the heat down to 140'C as the fan oven we are using is quite heat. It works! The previous chiffon I baked rise up very quickly and cracked till nobody business whereas this time it rise up slow and steady. Although it's cracked but not so serious. I like the cotton soft chiffon combine with the sweetness from the steam pumpkin with bits of crunchiness from the pumpkins seeds, yummy! Recipe for 17cm round chiffon For the egg whites mixture: 110g egg whites 55g caster sugar 5g corn flour For the egg yolks mixture: 40g egg yolks 24g milk 36g vegetable oil or olive oil 24g mashed pumpkin 10g sugar 55g plain flour 80g pumpkin cubes How I made it:
  1. For the mashed pumpkin, wash and core the pumpkin. Cut in big chunky portion and steam until tender. Peel some of the steamed pumpkin and mash. Cut others steamed pumpkin about 1cm cubes with skin. Weight the ingredients follow by the recipe above.
  2. For the chiffon cake, mix all the egg yolks mixture except flour and pumpkin cubes. When everything well combined then gradually add in sifted flour (I used electric mixer, its came very handy for this process). Mix everything well combine and no lumps left. The mixture would be very thick and and smooth. Gently mix in the pumpkin cubes.
  3. Beat the egg whites in a clean large bowl until peak foam. Gradually add in sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Then finally add in corn flour. Make sure the corn flour mix well in the egg mixture. The egg whites mixture should be peak foam, smooth and shiny.
  4. Gently fold in 1/3 of the egg whites mixture into the egg yolks mixture. When everything well combine then gently fold in the 1/2 of the remaining egg whites mixture. Lastly, fold in the remaining egg whites mixture. (Note: This stage took some times and patient and practice. Make sure all the egg whites mixture well combine with the egg yolks mixture without breaking the egg whites. Little egg whites left will cause a big hole in the cake during baking. And, over mixing will cause it hardly rise during the baking.)
  5. Pour the well mix mixture into a 17cm chiffon cake tin and bake at a 160'C preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. After baked, let the baked cake turn upside down for cooling before unmold it. . Keep the cake in the fridge it could last for 4 - 5 days. Best serve in 3 days.

3 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
I'm glad it works for you! I've exactly the same experience! When the cakes rose too fast, not a good sign right? Hahaha...this time better hor?
Your chiffon is so nice! So clever of you to add pumpkin seeds just for the GREEN! ;) Yummy yummy!

Kitchen Corner said...

Thank you so much Jane! Luckily you tell me to reduce 20'C, otherwise I'll keep on having the same problem. Cheers!!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Hi Grace, I stumbled upon your website while trying to google for mine... I think we have the same recipe book.. :-)

http://kokken69.blogspot.com/2009/09/pumpkin-chiffon-cake-closest-i-have.html

But your cake look good - mine is more 'holey' ...ha ha...