125g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids 150g flour 30g cocoa, sieved 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda ½ teaspoon salt 125g soft butter 75g light brown sugar 50g white sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 egg, cold from the fridge 350g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 170’C. Melt the 125g dark chocolate either in the microwave or in a heatproof dish over a pan of simmering water.
- Put the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugars in another bowl. (I use my freestanding mixer, itself an odd source of comfort to me.) Add the melted chocolate and mix together.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and cold egg, and then mix in the dry ingrdients. Finally stir in the chocolate morsels or chips.
- Scoop out 12 equal-sized mounds – an ice cream scoop and a palette knife are he best tools for the job – and place on a lined baking sheet about 6cm apart. Do not flatten them.
- Cook for 18 minutes, testing with a cake tester to make sure it comes out semi-clean and not wet with cake batter. If you pierce a chocolate chip, try again.
- Leave to call slightly on the baking sheet for 4 -5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to harden as they cool.