Kitchen Corner

February 2, 2009

Chocolate Walnut Brownie

I've got two favorites brownie recipes that I've baked for years. This chocolate brownie I would like to introduce here was made by 100% cocoa powder whereas another brownie recipe will made by 70% dark chocolate which I'll introduce another time. Both are delicious! The secret of making brownie is, never over cook it. You don't want a skewer insert and come out clean and that makes perfect brownie. I found pecan and walnut gave better texture for the brownie or you could add dried cherry to give a bit of sweet and sourly or topped with almond flakes etc.
I afraid this brownie would be slightly bitter for children as the cocoa really strong as I've added some coffee in it but you could just ignore the coffee if you made for children. As for adult, the coffee added really gave the brownie a wonderful aroma. You will like it!
Recipe: 115g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
120g caster sugar
2 eggs
40g plain chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
55g pecans or walnut
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp instant coffee granules
2 tbsp warm water
1 tsp baking powder
55g plain flour
55g cocoa powder Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Prepare the cake tin. Grease an 18cm/7in square cake tin and line with non-stick baking parchment.
  2. In a clean bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
  3. Chop the chocolate and put to one side. Chop the pecans, if using. Gently fold the nuts and chocolate into the butter and egg mixture. Add the vanilla extract.
  4. Dissolve the coffee granules in two tablespoons of warm water and add to the mixture. Mix together well.
  5. Add the baking powder, then sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Mix well; the mixture will be quite wet.
  6. Spoon the brownie batter into the prepared tin and level out the top with a spatula.
  7. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Don't over bake, you may have a skewer insert into the cake and come out not clean.
  8. Allow to cool in the tin for ten minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool.

11 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace.
Wow! This looks like the kind of brownie for me! Bitter sweet...chocolatety! Yummy! Btw, where to get 100% cocoa powder?? :p Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane,
I'm sure you will like this brownie. You could simply get 100% cocoa at any supermaket especially Cold Storage had very good cocoa powder like HERSHEY'S COCOA POWDER, DAGOBA chocolate powder or Van Houten. The best quality cocoa produce best quality of brownie :) Happy Baking!

Anonymous said...

what a collection you have...amazing:)

whenever i bake brownies, it is literally impossible for me to get them in 'neat' and straight rectangular pieces...the chocolate sticks to the knife, and makes a whole mess...its so disappointing...can you give me a tip to get them in neat squares?...just like in your pic
thanks

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, thanks for sharing! This will be ranked among the top few of my to-do list! My kids have been begging me to bake some brownies for them :)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Pashtana,
Let the brownie completly cool down before you cut it then I think you whould get neat pieces. As this recipe contains more cocoa powder, it would not too sticky as those recipe contains more of dark chocolate. Hope it helps! Happy Baking!

Hi HHB
I'm sure you and your children will like this brownie and just remember don't over cook it.
Drink more water after you enjoy it. Happy Baking!

Snooky doodle said...

I m drooling,. these look so fudgey chocolicious yummy :) have to try these

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Snooky doodle,
You'll like these brownie! Just don't over cook it otherwise it'll become a boring chocolate cake :P

Jackie said...

oh my, my girl will sure loves this. thanks for sharing.

Dazy said...

This recipe is really going to keep me busy in the kitchen with all its glamor.
This is another must for the weekend! My kids would just hug me for this.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Dazy,
Hope you will enjoy the brownie. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace

beautiful brownie.

just wondering if this brownie taste more like choc cake? seems it has the same process as cake. in fact, i like cakey brownie, like Delifrance's.

did you ever try the best brownie recipe from David Lebovitz? it is also very nice and lesser fat compare to JO's version. I will try JO's soon...

Niuniu