Kitchen Corner

November 13, 2008

Roulade

It's a great pleasure to know Jxxx recently. We've some similarities such as buying a "weird" oven which had given us lots of headache and fun too! There are some sense of humour between our conversation. The most similarities is we've a same interest, BAKING!
We just notice we're baking swiss roll in the same time without telling each other until I saw her posting. And it'd given us so much things to talk about through the comments corner. That, I feel so much interesting.
I baked two roulade days ago, they're almost the same which is rolled with chocolate sponge with oreo biscuits crumbs. It's just the decoration had a bit different which had added strawberries. The oreo chocolate roulade taste richer whereas the strawberry chocolate roulade is much refreshing.
Recipe:
5 whole large eggs 125g sugar 1g salt 100g plain flour
2g baking soda 15ml oil 50ml milk 20g cocoa powder 200ml whipping cream
20g caster sugar
1 pack of oreo biscuits (punch it into crumbs)
some strawberries
How I made it:
  1. Mix cocoa powder, milk and oil until a thick paste.
  2. Whip the eggs and gradually add in sugar. Whip until very light yellow and fluffy.
  3. Fold in shifted plain flour and baking soda. Do this gently.
  4. Fold in cocoa paste (1) until well combine. Pour into a rectangular baking pan with baking paper.
  5. Bake at 200'C preheated oven for 15 minutes.
  6. Remove the cake together with the baking paper onto a wire rack and quickly put the whole thing into a big plastic bag until it completely cool. (Make sure no air will go into the plastic bag. This is to prevent the cake drying and keep moisture so that it wouldn't crack during the rolling process.
  7. When the cake completely cool down, whip the cream until thicken. Fold in some oreo crumbs. Spread the oreo cream onto the cake evenly and roll in carefully.
  8. Spread some leftover oreo cream onto the cake roll surface and garnish with oreo crumbs.
  9. Put it in the fridge for an hour before slice. Best served in two days.

12 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
I think you're talking about...ME right? :) Thank you for mentioning me in your lovely blog! Woah, your roulade so beautifully rolled, and so special-OREO! Aiyo...makes me salivate only...*slurp*slurp*
Oops, sorry about my manners. Apologies. When can I have the WHOLE roll? :p

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane,
Oh.. yeah that's you, its you its you! hehehe... If you don't mind the rustic roulade then I'm more than happy to make a roll for you. Catch up with you soon!

Happy Flour said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

I love your Oreo Chocolate Roulade. It look rich with crunch oreo crumbs.
My boys sure love it. Yummy...Yummy... :P

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just curious abt Step 6. Won't the condensation cause the cake to be damp or soggy? Pls enlighten me.

Thanks!

Lynn

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Lynn,
You may need the vapor to moisture or soften the cake that's why the cake need to place in a plastic bag when it's still hot. If the cake be in draught and cool down in a dry air condition, the cake will be dry and may cause cracking during the rolling process. I've been using this method for many years and it's not damp and soggy, in fact, it's much easier to roll up.

Carree Sue said...

Your oreo roulade looks amazing. You should check out some of the vanilla products at www.arizonavanilla.com.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

So nice! I wish I have more patience & creativity like you to decorate the roulade. I just rolled up mine that's all, so simple, haha.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi HBS,
Sometime simple is NICE.

Snooky doodle said...

I like your blog. I added you to my favourites :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,

Thanks for your tips on trapping the moisture of the cake. I did that for my latest Swiss Roll and it helped! The only difference I did was instead of putting the cake in a plastic bag, I inverted my cake onto a clean baking sheet, peeled off the lining at the base and used the same paper to cover the cake, then left it to cool on the rack.

regards,
Lynn

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Lynn,
Glad to know that you like the recipe!

gambar tampak depan rumah minimalis 1 lantai said...

So nice! I wish I have more patience & creativity like you to decorate the roulade. I just rolled up mine that's all, so simple, haha.