Kitchen Corner

September 12, 2008

Mille Feuille 千层酥皮

I'm about to make a Napoleon Roll (拿破仑蛋糕卷) which would be published on the next chapter. First of all, I made this thousand flakes pastry called "Mille Feuille" by French which is kind of puff pastry. Somehow, this method had a bit different as it will produce a very flaky and crispy texture. I followed the method from my first recipe book "西点学习大百科". It's my first ever best recipe book that had help me start my baking journey years ago. I've got this website defined the Napoleon Pie.

Sometimes I bought a ready made puff pastry to make the cake but sometimes it's a joyful thing when you've got everything homemade. Once you've got this pastry done, you would be able to make many desserts. Custard, whipping cream, fresh berries, swissroll sponge etc.. they're all best friends with this pastry. Just like the picture above. The base and the edges is the Mille Feuille cover with sponge, strawberry, custard and whipped cream. This might take some efforts but worth it :)

I've problem in describing the process but please let me know if you need further clarification.

Ingredients: 120g unsalted butter (melted) 70g plain flour 60g high purpose flour (bread flour) 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp sugar 70ml cold water Extra high purpose flour for dusting How I made it:
  1. Mix water, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Shift in 1/3 of the plain flour and 1/3 of the high purpose flour until everything well combine. Gradually add in melted butter and mix thoroughly. Mix in all the remaining flour and use a scraper to mix until everything combine. Pour the mixture out on a floured work surface and knead. You might need to flour your hand and the surface while working out. The texture will become smooth and just a bit sticky then stop the kneading process and cling wrap the dough. Place it in the fridge for overnight.
  2. On a floured knife and work surface, cut a cross mark on the dough as four portions.(picture 2)
  3. Roll out each portion. (picture 3)
  4. Place a 1.5cm thick butter at the center of the pastry. (picture 4)
  5. Fold the edges together. (picture 5)
  6. Cling wrap the pastry and place it in the fridge for 1/2 hour before the next step.
  7. Roll out the pastry at 60cm longish shape. (picture 7)
  8. Fold into three layers (picture 8). Roll out and fold in again. Put it back to the fridge if you feel the pastry become sticky. Continue when it firm up again.
  9. Make a mark on the pastry with your finger to remember the numbers of roll out process (picture 9).
  10. I've rolled out and folded in for 6 times.
  11. Cling wrap the dough and place in the fridge until firm and ready to use (picture 11). The pastry could be stored in the fridge for 1 to 2 days or freeze for a week.
  12. Preheat the oven to 200'C. Roll out the pastry at a floured work surface and place on the back of a baking tray. Prick the pastry with a fork to make holes. (picture 12)
  13. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes then place a wire rack of the of the pastry and press down gently (picture 13) on the pastry and continue the baking for 10 - 15 minutes at 180'C until golden brown.
  14. Cool on a wire rack (picture 14)
  15. The pastry is ready to be used.

11 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Woah-ah-ah! Grace!
This is so PRETTY!!! You must've spend like one week to get this up? Goodness me, it makes me want to "lick" the screen! [sorry for being obscene!] Hahaha... I'm just all praise for this Strawberry Mille Feuille! Btw, how big is this?

Kitchen Corner said...

Thanks Jane! But, I didn't make the strawberry mille feuille this time. This was made last year when I was in the UK. I'll introduced a simple Napoleon Walnut Rolls in next chapter. Hope it will not disappoint you.

Anonymous said...

hey! thanks for the recipe! :D Im not quite sure about step 12. What do ou mean by place it on the back of a baking tray. Won't it drop? haha.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
Yes, place the rolled out dough on the back of baking tray. It won't drop because the dough had flatten when you've rolled it into a square or rectangular shape. I do this because the pastry will be placed with a wire rack on top to prevent it over rising while baking. Or, you could place the dough on a flat tray which without edges and just to make sure no tray edges will block the wire rack placing on top of the pastry. I couldn't get a proper picture to show you but please have a look on this website on how to place the dough on the back of a baking tray, it's quite similar to what I did. Hope it helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNvlfjZDd3c

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, I have borrowed the same book from the library before. It is a good book. I have tried making croissants once...but it was a total disaster. Even with chilling in between, the butter kept meling away the min I rolled the dough. I gave up making puff pastry...I was certain that our weather here it just too hot?! Thanks for sharing your experience, looks like it has got nothing to do with the weather, it's just me ;) I will certainly give it a try again.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi HHB,
I agree with you! The weather here is too hot, it's quite difficult for me to rolled the dough too. The result was not as good as the one I made in the UK. I would like to try out the ready made pastry sell in Phoon Huat next time. Anyway, the book is very good. I start my baking journey from the book.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, oh really?! So I was right to blame the weather ;)
I was wondering whether I should try with the 'danish pastry butter' available in PH, instead of using normal butter...not sure whether that kind of butter will not melt so easily??

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi HHB,
I bought butter in PH before, but I forgot it's danish pastry butter. For me, I always use "unsalted butter" for baking. Or, may be salted butter would melt faster. I think may be we shall on the air-cond to make the pastry kekekeke.... :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, I used unsalted butter when I tried making croissants. Guess I have to chill it very well in between each roll.

JourneyofMyMemories said...

Hi, may i know how many gr for the butter thick 1.5mm (on step 4)?

Thank you

Kitchen Corner said...

1 block 225g