Kitchen Corner

July 1, 2008

Sesame Bread

This bread has no different from other breads that I have made previously, except that with lots of sesame. I read an article that described black sesame high in calcium that each 100g of black sesame contains 2000mg of calcium whereas white sesame contains 440mg of calcium. Also described, black sesame contains 18 times more calcium than fresh milk!
After reading it, I decided to add in some sesame into my wholemeal bread to have more nutrition. I followed a wholemeal bread recipe which I believe it can be mixed with other plain bread or milky loaf too! The first dough I baked was not covered with a lid as I purposely want to shape it like homemade country bread. Therefore, I egg-washed the dough and sprinkled it with lots of sesame seeds.
The bread was beautifully baked in golden brown color with very fragrant flavor. The bread crumb was very soft and its top with sesame provides a crunchy texture. Then, I decided to make a second sesame loaf as my other half is crazy about it. I baked it with a Pullman tin with lid and added lots of sesame as well.
This time, the dough had turned into a square sandwich loaf. The texture has no different compared to the previous loaf I made.
Again, the fragrant of the sesame had given us another delicious and healthy breakfast!
Recipe:
1st recipe with 10% wholemeal (much softer version)
270g bread flour 30g whole wheat flour 6g sugar 6g salt 3g yeast 240g low fat milk 12g butter
30g white sesame (toasted)
50g black sesame (toased) 2nd recipe with 33% wholemeal (much healthier version)
250g bread flour
80g whole wheat flour
10g oat bran
30g sugar ¾ teaspoon salt 5g yeast
1 egg
150g ice water
15g low fat milk
30g butter 30g white sesame (toasted) 50g black sesame (toased)
Method:
  1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  2. Gradually add in all the wet ingredients and mix it by a flat beater at low speed until everything has just combined.
  3. Add butter continue to mix for 1 or 2 minutes.
  4. Change to a dough hook continues kneading for about 20 minutes at medium speed.
  5. Off the machine and clear the sticky dough at side of the bowl. Continue kneading for few seconds.
  6. Knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface until the dough smooth but not sticky.
  7. Mix sesame into the dough.
  8. Shape it into smooth round dough, cover with cling film and let it rest for 20 minutes.
  9. Knead the dough and punch out the gas. Divide the dough into three equal pieces and roll to form three even 'ball' shapes.
  10. Flatten dough and roll out into a longish shape. Roll up the dough like a Swiss-roll.
  11. Flatten the rolled-up dough and roll out again into a long rectangular shape. Add in some dried fruits on top then roll up the dough tightly.
  12. Do the same for the other two remaining dough. Place the rolled dough in greased bread tin. Spray with some water around the tin. Place it in the oven with door close, proof for 60 minutes without lid on.
  13. Put the lid on when the dough rise near to the top. Take out the tin from the oven and preheat the oven at 190'C.
  14. Bake approximately 40 minutes or until golden brown. (I increased the temperature to 210'C for extra 10 minutes until the bread had a golden brown color).
  15. Take out the bread to cool down before slicing into pieces. Store leftover bread in airtight container without slicing it for keeping it fresh for the next serving.

12 comments:

Afternoontea said...

Hi,Tks for sharing this recipe,I will get or self blend black sesame paste for this recipe, is indeed a very nutritious bread.
Yvonne

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Yvonne, thanks for giving me this good suggestion. I shall try it next time. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

This bread is really riched with sesame, which I could hardly find it locally. I love it very much!

Unknown said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

I saw you mentioned getting the Nielsen-Massey Vanilla extract for 3.99 pounds? My sister-in-law is going to London next week. Can I know where you get the extract from? I thought of asking her to buy for me.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Wendy,
I bought it 6 months ago in the UK, hopefully the price has not increased. You can get it from any suppermarket like Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda, Waitrose or Mark & Spencer or any wholefood stores. Hope it helps.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kitchen Corner.

Anonymous said...

Hi The brad looks fanstastic.
For the 1st recipe, is it true that it require 6 teaspoon of salt ? Kindly adive. TQ, Joan Tan

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Joan,
Sorry I've got a typing error. It supposed to be 6g of salt. Thank you!

Tam Dang said...

Dear Ms. Kitchen Corner,

Could you pls kindly help me as seems I confuse with the ingredient of 1st and 2nd recipe, pls advise my understanding:

1. For the 1st recipe (softer version)

1st recipe with 10% wholemeal (much softer version)

270g bread flour 30g whole wheat flour 6g sugar 6g salt 3g yeast 240g low fat milk 12g butter

2. For the 2nd recipe (healthier version)

2nd recipe with 33% wholemeal (much healthier version)

250g bread flour

80g whole wheat flour

10g oat bran

30g sugar ¾ teaspoon salt 5g yeast

1 egg

150g ice water

15g low fat milk

30g butter 30g white sesame (toasted) 50g black sesame (toased).


And the difference between 1st and 2nd recipe: no ice water and egg in the 1st recipe, is it right? ;)
Thanks and regards,
Tam Dang

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Tam Dang,
You are right. 1st recipe uses milk. 2nd recipe uses egg and ice water.

Tam Dang said...

Dear Ms. Kitchen Corner,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply

Wish you all the best and your blog more and more delicious and distinguish recipe!

Regards,
Tam Dang

Kitchen Corner said...

You are most welcome Tam Dang.