Kitchen Corner

January 12, 2009

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

I miss the apple muffins I had in the Marriot Hotel months ago, it's an unforgetable taste I've ever had. So, I like to try to make it myself. I baked a batch of this apple cinnamon muffins using a jar of leftover apple sauce bought from the Cold Storage. Apple sauce and cinnamon is the key ingredients for this muffins. It really gives a fantastic aroma for the muffins.
Then I like to have another experiment on freezing the muffins. What I did is cling wrap a few muffins after it completely cool down and kept in an airtight container then tuck it into the freezer while it's still fresh. After a few days, I reheat it at 120'C preheated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes. It's unimaginable that the muffins keep so fresh, fluffy and tasty. This is really a good idea for me to make some extra muffins next time and have it anytime whenever I feel hungry.
Recipe for 12 muffins:
Unsalted butter 120g Sugar 120g Eggs 2
Baking soda 1 teaspoon Baking powder 1/2 teaspoon Pinch of salt
Apple sauce 200g
Plain flour 240g Cinnamon powder 1 1/2 teaspoon Low fat natural yogurt 160g Toasted almond flakes 60g
Raisins 30g
1. Whisk butter with sugar (add little by little) until light and pale in color. 2. Mix in egg follow by baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combine. 3. Add in apple sauce and mix until combine (not to mix too much). 4. Mix in 1/3 of the shifted plain flour and cinnamon with yogurt alternately. 5. Fold in half of the the toasted almond flakes and all the raisins.
6. Fill each muffins cups and top with some almond flakes. 7. Bake in a preheat oven at 180'C for about 30 - 35 minutes.

16 comments:

Bakertan said...

Hi kitchen Corner,

These muffins look really appetizing. Definitely would like to try these muffins out. However,i find that the baking time is very long. Is it because of the high muffin cups that you have used? I was expecting the baking time to be around 20 to 25 minutes with paper liners in a muffin tin.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Baking Librarian,
I hope you'll like the recipe. Sorry that was a typo error. The baking time should be around 30 - 35 minutes and also depends on the size of your muffin cups. Cheers!

Bits said...

Hi, first time here. Your kitchen is awesome with so much of baking recipes! Love it.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Your muffin looks beautiful. Do you actually whisk in the eggs followed by baking soda & the rest or do you just mix in beaten eggs.

Thank you

Regards,
Diana Tan

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Diana,
After mixing the butter with sugar till light and pale. Add the eggs and mix till just combine. Add the baking soda, baking powder and salt into the butter, sugar and eggs mixture. Happy baking!

Hi Bits of Life'n'Taste,
Hope you'll get some useful recipe here. Cheers! Happy baking!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

May I know did you use electric mixer to mix the butter and sugar or just hand mixed?
And where can I find applesauce?

Thank you.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
Yes, I use electric mixter to mix the butter with sugar if I intended to make many muffins. I bought the applesauce at Cold Storage. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

Thanks for the info. By the way, do you happen to know the difference between hand mixing and using electric mixer to beat the sugar & butter? I noticed some recipes hand mix the butter and sugar whereas some uses electric mixer.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
I think the result have no different. The different is you need more energy to beat the sugar and butter if you use a hand whisk. Using electric mix will save you lots of energy :P

Anonymous said...

THanks for the info =)

dorissimo said...

I like the muffin and the Christmas panetonne paper cups. Would be great if I can have the web address of your supplier to inquire if they can supply me here in Manila. I don't see them in our bakery supplies stores. Many thanks for sharing your recipes. Will surely try them for my kids and friends.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi dorissimo,
Here is the web address of the supplier named Phoon Huat at Singapore. http://www.phoonhuat.com/sto_loc.htm

mummyooi said...

Hi,

I am interested on your tips on how to reheat your frozen muffin. Normally what i did is defrost first then only reheat, could I reheat the frozen muffin in preheated oven like you did?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi mummyooi,
That's good to defrost the muffin before reheat. However, sometimes I will just tuck it into the oven straight from the freezer. Both works!

mummyooi said...

Sure. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kitchen Corner

Your muffins look so lovely! I'm actually wondering if I can tweak this recipe into a banana walnut / chocolate chip one. Will omitting the applesauce make a difference to the turnout of the muffins? Appreciate yr advice. Thanks!

ML