Kitchen Corner

June 24, 2009

Dark Chocolate Ice Cream

As requested by Lxxx, I would like to share this recipe here with all of you. It's a real rich, bittersweet and creamy ice cream. Use the best dark chocolate at 70% cocoa solid would definately give you a sharp taste. I would said, this chocolate ice cream might not suitable for children as they might feel bitter. However, you can change the dark chocolate to 55% cocoa solid, it would be nice for children. For adults, go for 70% cocoa and you won't regret!
Recipe from "The Perfect Scoop":

500ml heavy cream 1 tablespoon (21g) unsweetened cocoa powder 140g bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped 250ml whole milk 150g sugar Pinch of salt 5 large egg yolks ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

  1. Warm 250ml of the cream with the cocoa powder in a medium sauce pan, whisking to thoroughly blend the cocoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer at a very low boil for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate, stirring until smooth. Then stir in the remaining 250ml cream. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, scraping the saucepan as thoroughly as possible, and set a mesh strainer on top of the bowl.
  2. Warm the milk, sugar and salt in the same saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
  3. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the chocolate mixture until smooth, then stir in the vanilla. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
  4. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If the cold mixture is too thick to pour into your machine, whisk it vigorously to thin it out.

14 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
Lately having the ice cream craze? Any leftovers for me please??

tracieMoo said...

the ice cream looks very tempting. Can i replace heavy cream with milk?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Grace,
Good thing I made some Chocolate Pot de creme just now...else I'll be so craving for this chocolate ice cream you make! Look super yummy btw!

Mary said...

Mmmm i wouldn't mind a scoop for dessert!

Small Small Baker said...

I can never resist chocolate ice creams. Can i have a lick? ;)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane,
Ya, it's the ice cream craze now kekeke... I would definately share this ice cream with you, please come to my place ok.

Hi tracieMoo,
I'm not sure you can replace the cream with milk, as I know the texture would be different because the more water (milk) ontains in an ice cream mixture, the more ice crystal will be which you might not get the smooth and creamy texture. Cheers!

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
Oh.. you make some chocolate pot de creme, can you show it to me? I want to lick it kekeke...

Hi Mary,
You could try this recipe, it's a good one! Cheers!

Hi Small Small Baker,
I can never resist cho. ice cream too! Please lick it...kekeke......

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,
Thank you so much for sharing this chocolate
Ice cream recipe.

Thanks,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,
Can I check with you how much cream require for this recipe? Is It 300ml or 500ml?

Thanks,
Lisa

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Lisa,
I've double check the recipe book, it used 300ml of cream and I followed exactly the recipe to make this chocolate ice cream. Hope you'll enjoy the recipe, cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,
Sorry to trouble you again. In the first step you mention about warm the 250 ml cream then few lines below mentioned stir the remainig 250 ml cream.

Thank you in advance for answering.

Lisa

martina said...

Hi Grace
your ice cream looks wonderful!! Great job! Do you think it's possible prepare it without a proper machine? I don't have one, but I'm too curious, and tempted :)D
and I want to try... Any advice?
thanks for sharing this amazing recipe
cheers Martina

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Lisa,
So sorry that the recipe was not clear. I copied the recipe exactly from the book. Could you please refer to this website. There got the same recipe as mine but the measurement in cups.

http://dinneranddessert.wordpress.com/2009/03/21/chocolate-ice-cream/

I think I've a bit confused too but I remember I add another 250ml of cream into the mixture. Please let me know if you've did your experiment. I shall try it again. Cheers!

Hi Martina,
Perhaps this recipe has got to be processed in an ice cream maker in order to get a smooth and creamy texture. But you cam do an experiment see whether it works without an ice cream maker. Please let me know your experiment ok. Cheers!

tigerfish said...

Hot day...perfect for ice-cream. So almost can eat ice-cream in Singapore everyday! :P

Baking Paradise said...

Hi,
This ice-cream looks so yummy, first glance thought you bought it from ice-cream shop. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.