Kitchen Corner

September 29, 2008

Matcha Sorbet

I've been using a brand of matcha powder bought from "Shaw House" at Orchard. I love its fragrant as the flavor works well for cakes or desserts and the color is so refreshing. I made few cups of matcha sorbet followed the recipe from "点心达人轻松学". It's simple to made and low fat. I think sorbet is low fat than ice cream as its made by water or milk. I used MEIJI low fat milk for the sorbet and reduce some sugar from the original recipe. I like this recipe as it's really refreshing. Method:
  1. Boil the milk and cream in a pan.
  2. In another bowl, mix green tea and sugar until well combine. (I used about 40g sugar)
  3. Gradually add ingredients (2) to (1) and mix until the sugar and green tea dissolve.
  4. Filter the mixture and pour into a shallow dish.
  5. Cling wrap the dish and store in the freezer for 4 hours or overnight.
  6. Cut the freeze sorbet in cubes then blend in a food processor.
  7. Scoop out the sorbet and it's ready to serve.

10 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Wow Grace! I love matchas! Anything that has matchas or green teas will catch my eyes! I've never tried matcha sorbet although I've done green tea ice cream many many times! Looks pretty easy for the ingredients, but quite a lot of work for the process! :p
Tell me what is the difference in texture for ice cream & sorbet?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane,
I think ice cream is much smoothish and creamy because its consist more cream or egg yolks whereas sorbet named as (冰沙)had the coarse texture. It's normally made from milk or sweetened water flavored with iced fruit (typically juice or puree), chocolate, wine, and/or liqueur. If you've an ice cream maker, it would be very handy for making ice cream or sorbet. I used food processor to make the sorbet, it's quite handy too and less guilty after enjoying a few scoops. Furthermore, this sorbet recipe is quite easy to make.

Mandy said...

i love everything with matcha. So this is right up my alley. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

May I know the addr for "Show House" at Orchard? I want to buy this Matcha.

Thanks

Lynn

Kitchen Corner said...

HI Lynn,
Sorry that I've an typo error at my blog. It's "Shaw House" supermarket located opposite the Marriott Hotel in Orchard. Hope this website could helps you find the direction to the Shaw House. http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/whats_nearby.php?travel_id=7897&travel_site=22972&level=6

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Thank you for your info. I bought the same Matcha Powder fr Shaw Hse yesterday.

Lynn

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Lynn,

I'm glad that you could find it. Happy cooking!

Max Kueng said...

Hi

I am just trying this out right now. I use Gyokuroen Green Tea mixture (contains just green tea powder and sugar) and some Maccha Kumo no Shiro and some more sugar. I don't know how much sugar the mixture contains but I think it's about the same proportions as yours.

I'll let you know how it tastes.

Max Kueng said...

Hi, I tried it and I think I used way too much tea. It was really not good. Will try again some time and follow exactly your recipe.

Thanks!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Max, everyone has different taste, just adjust the quantity of ingredients to suit your taste. Enjoy!