Kitchen Corner

June 22, 2009

Oven BBQ Spare Ribs

This is not about cakes baking but just a bit of sharing on this Oven BBQ Spare Ribs which I've discovered days ago. There are many way to make your own bbq sauce whereas here is the one I find it quite good to share with and the sauce is nice to marinade for other meats too! Try and taste!! Recipe for the BBQ Sauce: (From James Martin) 2 tbsp olive oil 2 onion, peeled and chopped 4 garlic, crushed 3 red chilli, finely chopped (add more if you like) 2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed 115g dark brown sugar 100ml dark soy suace 600ml tomato ketchup 2 tablespoon of honey Salt and black pepper
Toast the fennel seeds at medium heat until you got the nice smell coming out but becareful not to burnt it. In another saucepan with olive oil, fry the onioin, garlic, chilli and toasted fennel. Cook at medium heat until the onion soften but not caramilized. Add the brown sugar follow by the dark soy suace. When the sugar dissolved, add tomato ketchup follow by the honey. Let it simmering for 3 minutes then add salt and black pepper. Cook and stir another 3 minutes and set aside to cool down. If you want it to be a very smooth paste, blend it in a blender or just leave it as a chuncky mixture. You could keep this bbq sauce in a jar and store in the fridge for up to a week. To cook the spare ribs, place it on a large baking tray, marinade with some dried herbs, either thyme or rosemary, salt and pepper. Add a cup of water into the baking tray, cover the tray with an aluminium foil and cook in the 180'C preheated oven for 45 minutes until the meat cooked. Insert a knife into the meat to check whether it's cooked. Drain the water and place a baking sheet on the tray. Put back the meat into the tray and marinade the spare ribs with the bbq sauce. Cook in the oven at 200'C for 10 minutes then turn the ribs onto another side and cook for 10 minutes. Brush the meat with some bbq sauce again and continue to cook in the oven until you've got a nice colored and caramilized texture on the meat. Enjoy!

11 comments:

Mary said...

i love these spare ribs , my favorite.

Food For Tots said...

Looks so juicy and moist! I am inspired to try it out now!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

These ribs looks very well marinated and flavorful! Yummy, will try it when I have a chance. Thanks for sharing Grace. ;)

Passionate About Baking said...

Woah! Now into oven cooking! Your spare ribs are so nicely red! Btw, you sure it's spare ribs and not prime ribs? :p

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Mary,
That's my favorite too!

Hi Food for tots,
Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
Hope you'll like the recipe! Cheers!

Hi Jane,
I thought it's spare ribs or may be I'm wrong. I went to the butcher and ask for spare ribs so they gave me this. You've better idea about prime ribs and spare ribs?

Passionate About Baking said...

Grace,
I looked at your "spare ribs" and thought they looked very much like "prime ribs" with the bones. Perhaps you tell me how much is per kg that you bought, then maybe I can tell you what it is. Heehee... I'm the kind of auntie who goes to the market and knows most of the prices! Hahaha...

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane,
That's so good someone can help me figure out the prices on what I bought because I'm not good at it. Well, I don't really know about how much per kg, but this two sticks of ribs cost me 6.40 dollars. What do you think about it?

Passionate About Baking said...

OMG Grace! You actually bought two sticks of ribs only? Hahaha...You're very cute leh! Based on the picture, I can't tell if it's big or small, but two sticks cost $6.40 would probably tell me that it's prime rib actually. Did you tell the fella you want to bbq? If you did, then I would really think it's prime ribs. Prime ribs cost about $18/kg. Spare ribs are cheaper, about $12/kg. See how auntie I am! Hehehe...

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane, I think the fella gave me prime ribs coz it's really expensive. Good to know that! I'll take note on my next purchase of ribs. Anyway, the bbq sauce quite nice, I use it to marinade with chicken and prawns, it's yummy!

chih said...

Just to share what i have recently learned. I use pressure cooker to pressure cook the ribs first then grill it after coating with the BBQ sauce. It is fast and energy saving plus nutitious. Thanks

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi chih,
That's a really good idea! I'll try it if I have a pressure cooker at home. Cheers!