Kitchen Corner

July 3, 2015

Durian Mousse Cake II

A good slice in the morning to start my new day...

Another durian cake for this season. The durian souffle cheesecake sold out in no time during the last weekend charity sale so this weekend I am going to add another type of durian cake for sale again.
Recently, my car, my house, my fridge, my body almost smell durian everyday. Perhaps I will get vomit at the end of this durian season, would I ? Don't think so as I am such durian manic.

A good slice in the evening to reward myself a hard working day....

This melt in the mouth durian mousse cake tasted wonderful. A picky person like me very particular about gelatin really enjoy this dessert without tasted any gelatin added in. I choose gelatin leaves for this recipe and used very little to produce a soft set consistency. If you like it to be harden, feel free to add one or two more gelatin leaves. 

Recipe for 9 inches cake (about 1.5 kg)

For the cake base:
2 pieces of 8 inches sponge cake (from Peach Cloud Cake recipe)

For the durian mousse:
400g durian flesh (pureed) I used red prawn durian
6 pieces gelatin leaves
400ml whipping cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 egg yolks
100ml milk
80g caster sugar
  1. Put the gelatin leaves in cold water. In a sauce pan, warm the milk with sugar until the sugar completely dissolved. In a large bowl, add in the egg yolks then gradually pour the warm milk to mix with the yolks. Pour the mixture back to the saucepan and cook gently until thicken. Mix in the durian puree until combine. Cook a little more until the durian custard warm enough. Turn off the heat then add the gelatin (squeeze out any water of the gelatin before adding in). 
  2. Add lemon juice until well combine. Sieve the durian custard through a strainer.  Set aside to cool down.
  3. Whip the whipping cream until stiff peak. Fold it into the completely cool down durian custard till well combined.
  4. Place one piece of sponge cake on a 9 inches cake pan lined with transparent paper at the side. Pour half of the durian cream into the cake pan. Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then add another piece of sponge cake on the top. Pour the remaining durian cream on the top and layer until smooth. 
  5. Chill in the fridge at least 6 hours or overnight before serve.
  6. Brush a thin a layer of glazing gel (mix with same quantity of water (this is optional then portion with a hot knife for every slice.
  7. Best served cold. Enjoy!

No comments: