Kitchen Corner

March 20, 2009

Coffee Chiffon

To increase my confident, I'd like to try again another chiffon which I made before. Other than instant granulated coffee, I added cocoa and cinnamon powder to give it an extra flavour. I love coffee with some cinnamon taste, it's wonderful! Some expert said, the smell of cinnamon could give you a clear of mind.
Inside the chiffon, I added some mocha beans that bought from Phoon Huat and I cut it in four portions. The mocha bean really gave the texture a boost and I won't feel boring with a plain coffee chiffon. This chiffon had given away so I'd no chance to cut out a piece for the shooting. But I'll do it another time. I'm very satisfied with the result, as it's getting much better, as well as the flavour really special. Hope you will like it.
Recipe for 17cm round chiffon
For the egg whites mixture: 110g egg whites 55g caster sugar 5g corn flour
For the egg yolks mixture: 40g egg yolks 50g milk 36g vegetable oil or olive oil 55g plain flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder 3g cocoa powder
3g instant granulated coffee
10g sugar Method:
  1. Mix the egg yolks, milk, oil until everything well combined then add in sifted flour. Mix everything well combine and no lumps left. Add the cinnamon powder, cocoa and granulated coffee and mix until everything dissolve then add in sugar. The mixture would be very thick and and smooth. Fold in the mocha beans.
  2. Beat the egg whites in a clean large bowl until peak foam. Gradually add in sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Then finally add in corn flour. Continue to beat until soft peak foam. The egg whites mixture should be peak foam, smooth and shiny.
  3. Gently fold in 1/3 of the egg whites mixture into the egg yolks mixture. When everything well combine then gently fold in the 1/2 of the remaining egg whites mixture. Lastly, fold in the remaining egg whites mixture. (Note: This stage took some times and patient and practice. Make sure all the egg whites mixture well combine with the egg yolks mixture without breaking the egg whites. Little egg whites left will cause a big hole in the cake during baking. And, over mixing will cause it hardly rise during the baking.)
  4. Pour the well mix mixture into a 17cm chiffon cake tin and bake at a 160-170'C preheated oven for 45-50 minutes. After baked, let the baked cake turn upside down for cooling before unmold it.

23 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Woah! You chiffon cake looks PERFECT! *Envy* I really must try making chiffon one of these days! But nothing so complicated...just basic Pandan. :)

Elyse said...

What fabulous flavor combinations! Your chiffon looks like it turned out perfectly--perfectly yummy!

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
Gee,I didn't think of adding cinnamon to coffee chiffon!! Thanks for this wonderful idea! When I had my cappuccinos, I like it dusted with cinnamon powder. But I didn't realised this same combi applies to chiffon cake too! I'm sure your coffee chiffon taste exceptionally good!

Snooky doodle said...

oh the one with walnuts and dried fruit was already out of this world but this with coffee its even more delicious! I ma coffee addict. Perfect cake

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
I'm sure you can make a perfect chiffon too! Practice make perfect :)

Hi Elyse,
Yes, I like the combination of coffee and cinnamon, the taste is quite special.

Hi Jane,
I'm not creative as you think. I copied this recipe from a book. Anyway, if you like cappuccino with cinnamon, you might like this.

Hi Snooky doodle,
Thanks! I like this chiffon too! Try it!

quizzine said...

Hi Grace,
Your chiffon cakes are turning out perfect! And they are getting more 'exotic'!
Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Hi, Appreciated if anyone can tell why my chiffon cake rised on the beginning but shrink later, this happen during baking. (I used Recipe for 17cm chiffon tin but poured into 24cm tin and baked at 160'C for 40min).

Kitchen Corner said...

Thanks quizzine.

Hi Anonymous,
I guess you didn't beat the egg white enough that cause the chiffon it shrink. Don't open the oven while the cake is baking. Hope it helps.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your quick respond. Could you tell me approximal how long you take to beat the egg white?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
I'm sorry that I could hardly tell you how long I'd beat the egg white as I didn't count how long before. I'll normally beat the egg whites until the consistency of peak foam and the thickness normally had then I'll stop the mixer. Please try again and beat your egg whites longer. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I followed your advise to make sure the egg white was beat enough. This time the cake rised without shrink during baking (I baked at 140'C for 30min) - Thanks.
After baked, i turn the cake tin upside down immediately, but when it was cool, it shrink about 1 inci - may I know what cause this?
But the cake still soft & my family just love it.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
Glad to know your family love it! I bake my chiffon longer about 50-55 minutes with an oven temepetaure 140'C (but oven turn to 160'C) as I've got a very strange oven which is hardly to control the temperature. But, I followed the recipe book to put it here 160'C for shorter baking time. You've got to find out which is the best for you. After the 50 minutes of baking at 140'C I would usually open the oven and touch the top of the chiffon with my finger to make sure it's springy. If yes, take it out from the oven and turn it upside down. Yes, it'll shrink a bit but not too much. There might have some reason that it'll shrink. May be the egg white was not beaten enough, or the egg whites spoil during folding with the egg yolk mixture or didn't bake enough. Try to find out which is the most suitable baking TIME, TEMPERATURE and the EGG WHITE CONSISTENCY, then you're chiffon master! Anyway, you're having something healthy which didn't contain tartar powder or baking powder. You just need some skills to do it and you'll get it! Good luck!

Kristie said...

Hi Grace, is it ok if I bake ur chiffon cakes which are meant for 17cm in my 18cm tube pan?

Also, how many egg yolks and whites are there in this recipe? Thanks :)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Kristie,
Yes, you can use 18cm tube pan, it's just that the cake will not rise up to the entire tube pan, but it's ok. For this recipe you've got to measure the egg yolks and whites seperately. You might need approximately 3 to 4 eggs and very depends on what is the size of the eggs you use. Cheers!

Kristie said...

Thanks Grace, I will try it out, thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, wonderful wonderful mocha chiffon cake. i would like to try to make it this weekend. You mentioned fold the mocha bean in egg yolks mixture - how much mocha bean i have to use in this cake? thanks

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
I used 30g of mocha bean for this recipe. Enjoy!

carolc said...

Hi Grace,

May i ask how many egg whites/yolks are used for thiss recipe? Also, if i would like to use a 8" pan, how should i work out the ingredients?

All your chiffon look so pretty and standing tall! I've tried a few chiffons and they always dropped out of the pan whilst cooling. Are they underbaked?

Thank you!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Carol,
It's approximately 3 egg whites and yolks for 17cm tube chiffon pan. But, for this recipe you will need to measure the eggs in grams accurately. It might be underbaked or the egg white was not whipped with right consistency.

carolc said...

thanks Grace for your super prompt response : )

HL said...

I wish to ask which level you put your baking pan in oven? is it the bottom level?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi HL,
Yes, I put the baking pan at the bottom level in the oven.

Ronni said...

Hi Grace,

Thanks to your corn flour tip (I realized you have this in every of your chiffon recipe), I managed to succeed in my chiffon attempt this time round. Great tip!

Cheers,
Ronni
http://cookingmemos.blogspot.com/2010/04/coffee-chiffon-cake.html