Kitchen Corner

May 8, 2008

Granola

I am very particular with breakfast with no rushing and relaxing conversation with the family to start a new day. Cereal, oat porridge, bread, pancake, milk or coffee are in our daily menu. I don't wish to rush in the morning for preparing breakfast so normally will prepare everything in advance. I usually attached each measuring cups with the container of cereal, oat, my premix pancake, crepes, milk just to fix the portion when cooking so that I don't need to do measurement in the morning. Nowadays, there are more options as I've been doing some research of healthy bread recipes. Lately, I found a cereal recipe named Granola. You could get a package from supermarket actually. But this time, I really like to do it myself because I can add in different or more ingredients to this recipe and then put into a container just in case I feel bored with bread or craving at anytime. I made a big jar for mum as a mother's day gift. We have the same craving habit, so I guess this could really help her. This recipe from one of my idol chef Ellie Krieger, she is a celebrity nutritionist. You won't feel guilty when using her recipe but of course portion is also very important.
I used 3 cups rolled oats, 1/2 cups chopped walnut, 1/2 cups chopped almond and 1/2 cups chopped pecans and 1/2 cups raisin. You could add more oats or other nuts or seeds like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds or dried cranberries etc. I found walnut and almond is quite good in omega-3 fatty acid so I followed her recipe. I mixed these ingredients with 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, you can add more if you like and 1/4 tsp salt which is quite optional. After mixing all the dried ingredients, add 1/2 cup pure maple syrup and mix until everything is coated. Bake in the oven 30 minutes at 160'C or until golden brown. Serving size should be 1/2 cups perserving. It could be served with milk or yogurt or even desserts.
The naughty of me would always grasp some whenever I pass by the kitchen.

6 comments:

martina said...

Hi!! I love cereal and I we have the same habits in fact of craving time! I like very much cereal stuff but I sincerely hate maple syrup! Have you any suggestion for replace that ingredient in the granola? Maybe honey? Thanks a lot
Martina

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Martina,
I read a recipe from somewhere that granola could made by honey. Sometimes, I mix honey with maple syrup and it works. Hope it helps.

Yuri said...

Thanks for this wonderful recipe! I tried it today and will be giving a small bottle to my colleague as a farewell present. Hope you are ok if share the recipe on my post.

Anonymous said...

I used to have oats with raisins or dried berries for breakfast and I like granola as well. It's a healthy snack and very convenient especially when I'm hungry in gym. Thanks a lot for the recipe, I would like to make it on my own soon.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi chumpman,
I've been eating granola as my snack for long time. It's better than those unhealthy junk food. Please drink more water after you have granola to reduce the heaty in the body.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind reminder, Kitchen Corner. I will keep it in mind. Cheers !