Kitchen Corner

October 17, 2008

BACI Ice Cream

I bought an ice cream bowl attachment for my KitchenAid mixer recently as I've been eager to make myself a box of homemade ice cream for long long time. This ice cream bowl has to be stored in the freezer for 15 hours before the process of making ice cream, sorbet or gelato. I stored the ice cream bowl at the back of my freezer at all times that gives me the flexibility to make any frozen desserts on a whim.

I had a recipe book "Forever Summer from Nigella Lawson" with me for quite some times but just have no chance to follow her recipe as I don't have an ice cream maker. This book had many cold dessert recipes including ice cream. I've choosen a recipe called "BACI ICE CREAM". This is quite like a French or Italian ice cream as the ingredients used including custard. It had a very rich texture which is quite like the Häagen-Dazs. After had my first attempt on making ice cream, I think I've fallen in love with it.

I've got the Baci Ice Cream recipe on the website which is exactly the same in the book of "Forever Summer". Check it out if you like to give it a try.

8 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
The ice-cream just loooooks sooooo good!! How did you manage to take the photos without it melting away? I'm skeptical to try, because I'm afraid that it'll be so good I cannot stop making & eating!! :)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane,
It's really a wonderful experience of making ice cream. I took the pictures in one minute without giving it a nice shoot as I afraid it'll melt very quickly. Anyway, the ice cream didn't melt as quickly as others because this is quite a rich and thick ice cream. Hopefully I can make another flavour on my next attempt after my holiday trip. Cheers!

bossacafez said...

delicious looking ice cream, and lovely blog you hv, love all the recipes you posted =)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Evan,
Thanks for your lovely words :)

yammy said...

"..Whisk the yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and creamy; they should form pale ribbons when you lift the beaters or whisk. Bring the cream to a boil and add it to the beaten yolks, pouring slowly and beating all the while.
.."
so the beaten eagg yolks is boiled with the cream or its whisk with the cream using whisker?
thanks!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi yammy,
Sorry that my description was not clear. It should be mix together the cream with the egg yolk mixture. Using a hand whisk or spatula to combine. Then cook them at lower heat and keep stirring until the custard thicken.

yammy said...

thanks! by the way where can i get hazelnut syrup??

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Yammy,
I didn't manage to get hazelnut syrup so I used almond extract instead.