Kitchen Corner

May 25, 2008

Green Tea Chiffon Cake

I think I was quite brave to make this cake for my guests without any experience of this recipe and much time. Well, I really like to give it a try so I marblized some chinese red tea (红茶) with japanese green tea (抹茶) and hopefully they both could become a friend (kind of sensitive topic). Don't worry, I'm just talking about "Tea". Somehow, the marble effect not very obvious because I've mixed too much during the marblized process. Without any chance to change the marble effect I shall continue with a simple decoration using some fresh cream and sprinkling some green tea and sugar powder mixture. Well, by the time I cut it out, I still could see some marble effect but I believed without mixing too much it would be much prettier. This cakes is full of tea flavour, especially the green tea. I store it in the fridge and serve it to my guests with this hot and humid weather. Recipe for 24cm chiffon cake tin : Egg whites 235g Caster sugar 118g Corn flour 13g Egg yolks 90g Water infused with red tea 78g Vegetable oil 78g Flour 118g Caster sugar 25g Green tea powder 7g Water 25g Fresh whipping cream 250g Sugar powder 20g Pinch of Sugar powder Pinch Green tea powder Method: 1. Whip the egg whites until peak form then slowly add in caster sugar continue whipping and until a shiny and smooth peak form. Add in the cornflour mix until combine. 2. Mix egg yolks, red tea, oil, flour and caster sugar until everything combine. 3. Add in 1/3 of the egg white mixture to (2) until combine. Then add half of the left over egg whites mixture. Then continue adding the remaining egg whites mixture. Slowly and gently combine everything. 4. In another clean bowl mix the green tea powder with water until it become a green tea paste. 5. Mix the green tea paste with 120g of the mixture (3). 6. Add mixture (5) to mixture (3) to make a marble effect. (not to mix too much) 7. Pour into the baking tin and bake 60minutes at 160'C. 8. Let the baked cake turn upside down for cooling before unmold it. 9. Whip the fresh cream with sugar powder and decorate it with your creativity. 10. I mixed some sugar powder with green tea powder to sprinkle on top of the cake. 11. Keep the cake in the fridge it could last for 4 - 5 days. Best serve in 3 days.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi grace,
Thks for sharing this recipe. Initially, i was abit doubtful cos ur recipe did not contain any baking powder or cream of tartar. First chiffon recipe, ive noted tht add corn flour to beaten egg whites. But ur chiffon pics - wht a variety of flavours look so good tht i couldnt resist a try. Im glad tht i did cos the chiffon was soft n fluffy! :))

Susanna, Perth

Anonymous said...

this is the of the green tea chiffon cake i baked -http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13/sspaks64/greenteachiffon1.jpg

Susanna, Perth

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Susanna,
Your green tea chiffon looks really good. It's beautifully baked. Your one looks better than mine a lot!! Well, may I know which recipe are you using?

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,

Thks for ur kind compliment. Ur green tea chiffon looks great,too! U probably overmixed the green n white mixtures, thts y ur swirl is not so clear. I used your recipe above!! :))

Susanna

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Susanna,
Yes you're right, I overmixed the green and white mixtures :(
But I feel happy that you like the recipe and it works very well. Thanks!

Blessed Homemaker said...

I'm not sure igf my earlier msg was captured as I experienced an error msg while posting.

Qn 1, do I stir in the corn flour with mixer or fold in with spatula?

Qn 2, is this a 6 yolks 7 whites recipe?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Blessed Homemaker,
Whisk in the corn flour with the mixer not with spatula. I'm not sure is 6 yolks or 7 whites as I seperate the eggs and weight them in gram. It's approximately 6 to 7 eggs depends on the size of your eggs. So, it's good that you seperate the eggs and weight them in grams for this recipe. Cheers!

Unknown said...

Hi Grace !
Thanks for sharing the recipe ! I tried it out, and it turned out pretty good ^^
But I didn't get a marble effect like yours, the green tea dough just sunk below :s
Nonetheless, it was still really yummy ^^

Vivian said...

Grace,

i tried to bake 2 chiffon cakes for the past few days and the latest yesterday i tried to bake the green tea chiffon but unfortunately, all my chiffon cake not spongy but compact and wet + shrink too. What is wrong? It is becos of the egg white? but i have confirmed the white have been beaten to stiff stage as i try to put the plate up side down the batter didn't fall out. Please advice

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Vivian,
I'm so sorry that you didn't get the right texture of chiffon. I still think that your egg white might not beaten to the right stage and remember to fold the egg white gently into the egg yolks mixture. Please do try again, this need some practice. Once you get it right, remember the consistency.