Kitchen Corner

April 10, 2009

Coconut Bun

I'd like to make this for quite some time but there are just too many recipes to try out and I'm glad this is the time to try. I like to eat coconut bun, it's one of my childhood favorite snack and my mum loves it too! So must give it a try so that I don't need to buy from the bakery shop next time.
I use the milky loaf recipe to make the buns whereas the coconut filling is something new for me and I'm glad I've got the taste and flavour with the guidance of my mother-in-law. I'm using her bread machine to do the kneading this time, the dough need to have extra kneading until it's smooth and elastic. I don't have raw sugar so I used caster sugar. I believe using raw sugar the flavour would be much better. Overall, I'm very happy with the result. The bread soft and the filling very tasty. Yummy!
Recipe for 12 buns:
143g fresh milk
35g egg
25g caster sugar
5g salt
250g bread flour
4g Instant yeast
38g unsalted butter
Filling:
1 tbsp cooking oil
100g raw sugar or caster sugar (I used 50g caster sugar only)
100g coconut sugar
100g coconut water
2 tbsp plain flour
4 tbsp water
300g shredded coconut
How I made it:
  1. For the dough. Place all the ingredients in the bread machine except butter. Knead until everything combine about 10 minutes. Add in the butter continue the kneading process until it become smooth and elastic. I used 30 minutes for the kneading process. Shape it into a smooth round dough, cover with cling film and let it rest for 60 minutes.
  2. While waiting for the dough. Heat the oil in a wok at low heat, add in raw sugar or caster sugar, coconut sugar until it nearly melted then add the coconut water to prevent sticking. Cook until everything melt then add shredded coconut. Make sure the shredded coconut coated with the melted sugar. Keep stirring to prevent it burn. Mix the water with flour then add into the coconut mixture. Keep stirring until everything well combine and you could smell the fragrant of coconut mixture. It'll start become dry and you'll know it has done. Let it cool down on a plate before use.
  3. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces of doughs and roll to form 'ball' shapes. Then, cover with cling film let it rest for 15 minutes.
  4. Flatten each dough and wrap in the coconut filling and shape it into smooth round shape then place on a baking tray for 60 minute proofing.
  5. Brush some milk on each doughs and sprinkle some shredded coconut. Bake approximately 18 minutes at 180'C preheated oven until nice and light golden brown.

21 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I like coconut buns too! BTW, did you use fresh grated coconut for this recipe? Thanks for sharing!

Elyse said...

Wow! These coconut buns look fabulous. I just love the filling, too. Coconut is one of my favorite flavors; I really need to try this recipe!

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
Ah...A baker, always a baker! Back at hometown still cannot stop baking huh?
Though I'm not a fan of coconut buns, but I definitely want to try your coconut bun...not I bake, but you bake, I eat! ;) Heehee...Enjoy the comfort of your hometown!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
Sorry I forgot to mention at the recipe that I used fresh grated coconut. It has to be fresh one in order to get the good taste. Cheers!

Hi Elyse,
Thanks, hope you'll like this recipe.

Hi Jane,
kekeke... my hands quite itchy without baking for few days. Thanks, I shall enjoy the home trip. Happy Baking!

Snooky doodle said...

oh these look so soft and yummy. I love coconut :) Happy Easter

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Snooky doodle,
Happy Easter! Hope you like this recipe.

Edith said...

Hi Grace, been a regular at your blog. Love it. Keep it up.

Something for you here http://preciousmoments66.blogspot.com/2009/04/really-nice-for-easter-sunday-morning.html

Elin Chia said...

Hi Grace,

You make great buns :) Now that I know you have so many bun recipes here thru SSB blog, I am going to be stuck here for some time :))

Thanks for sharing all your bun recipes here :)

Regards,
Elin

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi edith,
Thanks. I like your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Elin,
Thanks! Hope you'll like the recipes. Cheers!

martina said...

Ehi Grace
where are you going?? It's everything ok? I miss you! I hope everything is fine and to see your post back soon!
take care Marty

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Martina,
Thanks for your message. I've been sick for some time and now getting better. Sorry for not posting anything as I still need some time to recover and get back my energy. I shall post something once I get back to the kitchen. Cheers!

martina said...

Ehi, don't be sorry! this is not a job!!! I hope you feel better soon, a big hug Martina

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Martina,
Thanks for your lovely hug! I feel much better nowadays.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Grace,

Sorry to hear that you have been sick. Hope you are feeling better and full of energy now. Really looking forward to seeing more yummy post from you. ;) Warmest wishes!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
Thanks for your lovely message. I'll get more energy to get back to kitchen and post something up yea. Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

I would like to try this recipe...can you please convert it to U S measurements? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I would like to try this coconut bun recipe but I don't understand the measurements used here. Can you please convert to US Measurement?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi ysball,
You may use this link to convert the ingredients measurement.
http://happyhomebaking.blogspot.com/search/label/Tools

Hope it helps, cheers!

Monsterbaby said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,
I noticed that some recipes call for just bread flour and some need bread flour and plain flour. How different would they taste? Would adding of plain flour made the bread softer? Can I use all purpose flour to substitute plain flour? Thank you.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Monsterbaby,
Yes, some of the recipe call for bread flour and plain flour. I don't really know the different as I followed what the recipe call for but didn't do any experiments by changing the original ingredients. I think all purpose flour and plain flour is the same. You can use either one. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Like to try out the coconut bun.

But what is a coconut sugar ? Where can we get ?

Cheers
Ling