Kitchen Corner

March 13, 2009

Milky Wholemeal Bread

This wholemeal bread very cottony soft because it's made by plenty of milk. It's been our daily bread for year. Sometimes I bake the dough in the bread tin but this time I just simply rolled it into two log and bake. Well, it's just another kind of sensation. I used some leftover bread to make some sandwich french toast with cheesekraft, ham and some parmesan cheese, it's very enjoyable breakfast!
Recipe for the bread:
Bread flour 270g
Wholemeal flour 30g
Yeast 3g
Sugar 6g
Salt 5g
Cold milk 240g
Unsalted butter 12g
Method:
  1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a kneading bowl with 240ml cool milk except butter. Knead until everything combine.
  2. Gradually add in the butter continue the kneading process until it become smooth and elastic. (the dough might have a bit wet but not sticky, you might need longer time to knead it)
  3. Shape it into a smooth round dough, cover with cling film and let it rest for 80 minutes.
  4. Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces and roll to form 'ball' shapes.
  5. Flatten each dough and roll out into a longish shape. Roll up the dough like a swiss-roll. (I put some rye flour on the bread to give a country look. Place the rolled doughs on a baking pan proof for 60 minute.
  6. Bake approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown at 190'C preheated oven.

To make six pieces of french toast.... you will need six slices of bread, 1 egg, 3 tbsp milk, 1 tbsp sugar, pinch of salt and pepper, 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, six slices of ham and cheesekraft.

  1. Mix the egg, milk, sugar, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese in a bowl.
  2. Cut apart (don't need to cut into to two slices) on each slice of bread and place a ham and cheesekraf to sandwich.
  3. Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a saute pan. Soak the sandwich bread with some egg mixture and cook on the pan each side until golden brown.

30 comments:

martina said...

This bread looks delicious!!! I always enjoy the taste of real bread...I'm used to eat a lot of good bread, but here...no way! So it's fantastic if I could find a good alternative to make it on my own. Last time I thought to buy a loaf of "real" bread I felt a little theft: 5 euro for a loaf! So thanks for the recipe, I'll try it soon
cheers Martina

Small Small Baker said...

Wow, your french toast looks sooo yummy! Wish I could have a piece for breakfast tomorrow. :)

Aimei said...

your bread looks very conntony soft, and I like bread with wholemeal flour in it, adding a tinge of whoelsomeness. I'm defintely going to bookmark this recipe! :D

Elyse said...

I love what milk does for baked goods. This bread looks fabulously soft and delicious. I can't wait to try out the recipe! Love your blog; so glad I found it in my recommended feeds!

Snooky doodle said...

oh how nice! really a yummy loaf! wish to try this one :)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Martina,
Hi SSB,
Hi Aimei,
Hi Elyse,
Hi Snooky doodle,
Thanks for all your compliments! I love this bread very much and my hubby too and hope you guys will like it as well. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Would like to check with you, is the sugar amt 6g? Thanks.

Yen Li

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Yen Li,
Yes, 6 gram of sugar.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Your bread sure looks good! Will give it a try soon.

Rdgs,
Yen Li

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

I have been playing with yeast bread lately and I think I will give this one a shot. I really want to find an easy soft bread for our daily bread! Thanks for the recipe.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Yen Li,
Enjoy your bread making!

Hi Sarena Shasteen,
Hope you'll like this recipe. Just have to be patient to give extra kneading until you got a smooth and elastic but no sticky consistency ok. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hi kitchen corner,

Baked this bread yesterday. Really soft and delicious! So glad i found your blog. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Rdgs,
Yen Li

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Yen Li,
Very glad to know you like this recipe. I baked it yesterday too!

DuaVillas said...

When your recipe says 'cold milk' does that mean straight from the fridge?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi CY,
Yes, you could use cold milk straight from the fridge. Enjoy Baking!

Anonymous said...

Hi,Kitchen Corner,

Could this bread be made using a breadmaker? Tks.

Christine

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Christine,
Yes. This bread can be made by breadmaker. But, you might need to give it an extra kneading in the machine then follow the process of proofing and shaping. Hope you like the recipe. Happy Baking! Cheers!

E ling said...

hello kitchen corner,
your loaf looks really great!!
just want to clarify your answer to christine's question - if i use a breadmaker to make this bread, do i use the sweet or basic function?

this is cos i don't have the pullman tin and i like the convenience of just dumping everything into the breadmaker! (=

thanks so much!

edel

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Edel,
I used "dough" function to make this bread before. However, I need to restart the machine to give it an extra kneading. I've forgot how long was the kneading process (may be more than 30 minutes). Anyway, the dough should be smooth and elastic and not sticky then let it continue for the proofing process. Hope my answer could help. Cheers!

Sihan said...

I baked this bread about 2 days ago and it turned out fantastic. What's best about it is that it remains soft even till the 3rd day! thanks for sharing the recipe. *beams*

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi SiHaN,
Glad to know you like the recipe! Cheers!

breadlover said...

I'm new to your blog and wud like to thank you for sharing great recipes. Just baked this bread yesterday, with a twist. I used canola oil instead of butter and adding some rolled oat. It turned out satisfactorily. The texture is soft and cottony and the taste is good. LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

hi, i like your recipes very much. i've tried this recipe and the bread is very soft without bread improver or bread softener!
definitely a keeper. thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

between, i was wondering if you've tried banana yeasted bread and if yes, could you share the recipe?

thanks so much.
shirley

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Shirley,
I've not tried any banana yeasted bread before. Perhaps you could check out with some other bloggers. I tried banana cake before it's something like banana bread which is use baking powder instead of yeast. You could check it out at my "cakes corner". Cheers!

Anonymous said...

What type of yeast do you use for this recipe, is it fresh yeast?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
I used instant dry yeast, not fresh yeast yea!

SW Tan said...

Hi, I did this 2 days ago, and the bread has stayed soft till its 3rd day. Great lightly toasted or just eaten on its own!

I had to knead the dough for slightly over an hr on my KitchenAid. Did you take the same amount of time?

I chanced upon your Sponge cake (cocoa) yesterday and you provided a link to a demonstration by a Taiwanese lady of the making of the cake. I lost the link, can you email me the link?

Thanks!

SW Tan
tanwawas@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

hi grace,
I;m about to try this recipe soon. Is this a 2-loaves recipe or the recipe makes only a loaf.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I tried your recipe and halved the ingredients to bake 1 loaf last nite.
Started at 2300 and finsihed at 0230 this morning! It was soft!! Thanks for the recipe.
I will try again with full measurements and add raisins to it.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
Glad to know you like the recipe. I bake this quite often too!