Kitchen Corner

August 26, 2010

Fougasse 叶形烤饼

It has been quite a long time I didn't touch my mixer and oven. I do miss them and my hand do itchy but just can't help myself to get some energy to start with anything. Today, I feel a bit of strength to get into the kitchen. So, I decide to make something for breakfast and something savory that can suit my appetite. I flipped through 孟老师的100道面包 for reference and realized there is a Fougasse recipe which I haven't try before. As it's quite simple and I've all the ingredients on hand, without thinking much I quickly tuck into the kitchen and start making it.
Other than the herbs toppings recommended from the recipe, I would like to add some filling into the dough to make it much flavorful and tastier which is some fried back bacon, caramelized onion and cheddar cheese. I must say the result is so excellent! It taste really fantastic with the fragrant of herbs toppings. The crust is crisp and the fillings of back bacon, cheese and onion is a winner! This Fougasse do not need any companion as it taste good as it is. But it would be great to serve with soup, dippings or even half boil eggs for breakfast too. I will definitely bake this again. Very satisfy!
(A) 200g Bread flour / 50g plain flour / 10g caster sugar / 1/2 teaspoon salt / 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast / 150g water / 10g unsalted butter
(B) 1 red onion (finely chopped and stir fry with some salt until soften) / 2 slices back bacon (finely chopped and stir fry until crisp and golden) / 100g cheddar cheese (diced in small cubes about 1 cm)
(C) 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper / 1/4 teaspoon sea salt / 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves / 1/2 dried basil leaves / 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  1. Mix ingredients (A) except butter with a dough hook until everything form into a dough. Add in the butter and continue the kneading process until a smooth dough.
  2. Let it proof for 60 minutes while you prepare ingredients (B) and (C). Fry the onion until soften and the bacon until crisp and golden brown then set aside to cool. Cut the cheddar cheese in small cubes about 1cm. Mix all the prepared ingredients (B) together and divide into 7 portions. Mix ingredients (C) in another small bowl except the extra virgin olive oil.
  3. Divide the dough into seven portions and fill each dough with mixture (B) and shape them into small ball. Let them rest for 10 minutes.
  4. Roll out each doughs into an oval shape and cut a few strips on the flatten doughs. Brush the dough with the extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle over some ingredient (C).
  5. Proof for about 20 minutes and bake at 200C preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Enjoy!
PS: The crust of Fougasse will turn soft the next day. To get a crusty crust, reheat it in the oven at about 150C for less than 5 minutes.

37 comments:

Bakericious said...

Grace, I love the leaf shape and pattern of this fougasse. The topping looks mouth-watering, crispy outer layer and inner looks soft, must be very delicious.

Hope you are getting better now, take care!

youfei said...

Hi Grace,

You definitely have a way with breads..Your breads are always so nicely moulded and shaped without compromising in texture.

It looks like it's straight out from a professional bakery!

NICE! =D

busygran said...

This is good! Bookmarked!

martina said...

Very inspiring!I think would it be perfect for a picnic...
Hope you will get better soon
a sweet hug
Martina

Happy Homebaker said...

dear Grace, you make very lovely fougasse! I like the crispy crust and yet the inside looks soft. Will love to make them for my boys, thanks for the inspiration :) Hope you will get better soon, take care!

Pei-Lin said...

Grace, nice to hear that you're getting back on track ... feeling physically better! I know, I feel the itch, too, whenever I've not touched my ka-chang for a long time ... HAHA!

Fougasse is the French cousin of foccacia. I love both ... Well, they taste somewhat similar. It's just how we wanna tweak it ... Love your version! I'm a bread person! Gimme the whole thing and I can have it for lunch at work on its own! Yumm!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I can already imagine the soft texture when tearing in one of the leaf... yummy! Bacon, onions and cheese filled...it's a meal on its own. ;) Thanks for sharing yet another wonderful bread recipe Grace!

Edith said...

Grace, you definitely has a special touch for making bread.

Min said...

I like your bread :) They look a bit like pizza, would like to try this also, thanks for sharing.

lena said...

sounds good, looks good, am sure it tastes good too. wonder how to pronounce this' fougasse'? btw, i've been following yr blog for sometime and just addded you into my blogroll..i just started mine less than 2 weeks. cheers!

WendyinKK said...

I've seen quite a handful of fougasses, and yours look the best!
I'm bookmarking this!

Passionate About Baking said...

I'm so glad you found some energy Grace! I'm so happy to see you baking again. I've never seen this before, but maybe I have seen it in the bakeries, just didn't know the name. It sounds like something I would truly like! All your breads just make me drool... Thanks for sharing this. I'll have to make this...

Jo said...

Grace, your breads are always so amazing. These are perfect for a lazy Sunday brunch with a side salad. BTW I made your burger buns last weekend - they were great. Will find time to post it soon.

ReeseKitchen said...

I have this book too but only tried one recipe from it..heehee..;p This look lovely, another one added in my to-do-list...the list is getting longer now...*opps*

lena said...

hi, i've just looked thru your posting on bagels.They looked perfect. I did some bagels last few days back , well crispy outside and chewy inside but they looked wrinkled. I think it happened the moment i dropped them into the boiling water and i need to be so careful when transferring the proven dough into the boiling water. The surface on your bagels look so smooth, how did you do that?I would like to try making them again..or anybody would like to share?

ICook4Fun said...

The shape of this bread it really nice. I like the bits of bacon in it. I just tried out your Parsley buns and they turn out really well. Thanks for sharing it.

Mad Men Girl said...

Hey kitchen goddess! Just stopped by for a cuppa, and a favor...

I've entered a contest to win a role on the retro-fabulous TV show "Mad Men" - but I need your votes to win!

If you don't mind taking two seconds to vote for me, please go to my blog or use the link below, which takes you right to my photo page.

http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/EZ3MBH

Thanks so much!

Esther said...

I agree with what everyone else says, your bread looks amazing like always. It looks like it will smell really delicious while baking and when taken out of the oven. I hope you get back your strength soon, don't overwork yourself.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jess, YouFei, Busygran, Honey Bee Sweet, Edith, Wendyydy & Esther:
Thanks for dropping here to leave your lovely words and encouragement. Cheers!

Hi Martina, Pei Lin & HHB,
Hopefully I will getting better and get back my strength very soon. Thanks for your support and remembering me. Oh Pei Lin, I find the texture quite like foccacia too but it's much crusty especially while it's still warm. Thanks!

Hi Min,
Erm.. it's a bit of similarity like thin crust pizza. Hope you will like. Cheers!

Hi Lena,
haha..I'm not sure hot to pronounce the name too :P Will find it out with my French friends. Thanks for dropping here. Cheers!

Hi Jane,
After chatting with you I feel much better, may be that's the emotional and physically support that strengthen me a lot. I think live happily could strengthen my body. Thank you so much my friend!

Hi Jo,
This is great for a lazy brunch, I agree with you! Thanks for trying out the burger bun and glad you like it. Thanks!

Hi Reese,
I've got very long list to do too! No problem, take your time and do whatever you feel like to then you could get the best result. Cheers!

Hi ICook4Fun,
Thanks for trying out the Parsley buns recipe. I've long time didn't make it and miss it too! May be I should try it out again one of these days. Thanks!

MaryMoh said...

Creative baking! It looks like a big, beautiful leaf. Must be very delicious with all the fillings there.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love artisan bread, exactly like this one. Fresh out of the oven..bet your kitchen was filled with all the pleasant aromas when you baked this.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Good to hear you're feeling better now, miss your blogging.

I already have a few Fougasse recipes on hand, now have to add on another one. But my breadmachine just died on me so I'm not sure if I want to make any more breads now, simply too time consuming.

Cooking Gallery said...

Grace, your fougasse look beautiful, like very elegant looking pizza :)!

Small Small Baker said...

I can almost immediately recognize that it is a recipe from 孟老师. Because you make it so pretty and exactly like the ones in the book. Your photos are great too!

Small Small Baker said...

I can almost immediately recognize that it is a recipe from 孟老师. Because you make it so pretty and exactly like the ones in the book. Your photos are great too!

Small Small Baker said...

I can almost immediately recognize that it is a recipe from 孟老师. Because you make it so pretty and exactly like the ones in the book. Your photos are great too!

Bakertan said...

Hi Grace,

I know nuts about fougasse but I do know these fougasse look really good and yummy, very pro indeed!

Hope you are getting better ya. Take care =]

zhuoyuan

Cheah said...

They're just awesome! You must be very patient making them!

Elin Chia said...

Grace...you always managed to tempt me to make all that u posted up :) I am going to make this when my boy is back. He will loves this ! Thank you for sharing another wonderful bread recipe :)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

From your hamburger buns to this... you are quickly making bread your signature :)...

Chef Bee said...

Wow, taking the time to cut the beautiful pattern is admirable. Lovely.

Plan B

Unknown said...

Wow the shape is really nice. I have not tried this kind of bread before. Is the texture crispy? Since it is so thin?

Weng

Tummywise said...

Hi Grace, I just recently stumbled upon your blog.

Your recipes are amazing and your breads are all so beautiful. Thanks for taking the time to blog on your baking. I can't wait to try the recipes!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks very yummy. i am very impressed by the look of the bread, i like the way you cut them.

I just found your blog and I will be back again very soon! Your first page is very inviting!

Nadji said...

Des fougasses comme en France.
Bravo, elles sont très réussies.
See soon.

lena said...

Hi grace, would like to let you know that you have received an award from me. Do check out my blog.

Pretty. Good. Food. said...

Yum, this sounds so good!!