Kitchen Corner

September 9, 2008

Hotdog Bun & English Chips

I came across a website with a very good bun recipe. The dough can be used for burger bun or hotdog bun. I'm quite happy with the result as the buns are very soft and tender. I followed exactly the recipe but without adding the bread improver. Anyway, the texture as good as the one selling in the supermarket. The bun store very well in the freezer as long as its covered tightly with cling wrap and another layer of aluminium foil. It can be thawed at room temperature until it's softened.
I made three sets of hotdog bun for lunch and some English Chips.
I would like to introduce this baked chips which is a recipe from Jamie Oliver. If you've came across English chips before, you might know there are quite thick and fatty chips. This version is slightly different as it's baked in the oven rather than deep fry. So, if you are thinking to reduce the fat and calories, this might be suitable for you and it taste great!
Recipe for 5 hotdog bun or burger buns:
Bread flour 160g / plain flour 28g / Sugar 15g / Milk powder 8g / Salt 2.82g / Water 109g / Eggs 15g / Yeast 2.5g / Butter 15g
Method:
  1. Knead all the ingredients with a dough hook for 15 minutes. Proof for 90 minutes then portions it into five buns. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
  2. Then shape it into longish shape for hotdog bun or round shape for burger bun. Proof for another 60 minutes or double in bulk.
  3. Bake in a 180'C preheated oven for 15 minutes.

Recipe for Jamie's Baked Chips:

  1. Put a large flat baking tray in the oven and turn the heat to 230'C. Cut the potatoes into chips about 1/2 inch thick. Parboil the chip for about 10 minutes in salted boiling water and drain in a colander.
  2. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan, smash the garlic bulb up and chuck in the cloves, then add the chips. Toss in the oil and season with ground black pepper and salt.
  3. Trnasfer the contents of the pan to the preheated tray and cook for 20 t0 25 minutes until crisp and golden.

19 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

Thanks for sharing the recipes! I have bookmarked the bun recipes, and I will certainly have a go on those baked chips! I must say you are very good at shaping the hotdog buns! I wish I can do it as good as you :p

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi HHB,
Thanks for your compliments! Please try the bun recipe, it's very good. As for me, I didn't shape the bun nicely but somehow there joined together after the 2nd proofing. I think you'll do better! Happy Baking!

Anonymous said...

WELL DONE !!! One word but included all the passion and love product. Always impress me ! You're great.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, I thought your buns look perfect :) Your hotdogs and chips made me feel like packing them for a picnic at the park...but not the parks here though. It's a shame that our weather here makes eating outdoors so undesirable :(

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi HHB,
Thank you so much for your lovely words! I feel so encouraging. I've the same thought as you, I don't think I'll picnic at this weather too :(

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Sharon,
Thank you for your encouragement and your lovely glasses. We enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

What a heathier version of hot dog bun and french fries! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

they look so yummy.. i havent quite tried baking bread/bun yet..

Kitchen Corner said...

Thanks Missy!

Happy Homebaker said...

I tried makng these chips (with russet potatoes), but I forgot to pan fry them before baking...and I could have over boiled them...they turned soggy upon cooling. but my kids still think the chips taste good?! I know I am a terrible cook but blessed with two very kind children!
I tried making baked potatoes (with russet) this afternoon, it was a great success :) I will try making these chips again soon, wish me luck!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi HHB,
Glad that your boys like the chips. Other than pan fry the potatoes, you could just drizzle with some olive oil and rub it together after boil them then bake into the oven. Well, I'm sure you'll manage to do it. you know what, you are my great cook!

Anonymous said...

hi,

I would like to try out this burgur buns. Can you pls tell me 2.82g salt is how many teaspoon? and also 2.5g yeast?

thanks & regards

Anonymous said...

hi,

I would like to try out this burgur buns. Can you pls tell me 2.82g salt is how many teaspoon? and also 2.5g yeast?

thanks & regards

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
2.5g yeast is about 1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon. For the salt 2.82 is about 1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon.

Anonymous said...

Hey kitchen corner,
Million thanks for sharing this recipe!
Chanced upon your blog and made this buns yesterday with mini hotdogs and cheese inside. Wah! My kids and dh finished them up clean. The buns are super soft and yummy This recipe is definitely a keep!

4kids

Lara said...

Brilliant buns - will never use another recipe again for hot dog buns or hamburger buns. Thank You!!!

dining tables said...

I like the recipe of the buns. I have been using it for picnics. It is much convenient to make your own.

wafa said...

Hi ! I've tried to make these buns yesterday and it was DELICIOUS. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe. I'll publish it on my website (of course I will put a link to your blog!)
Wafa from Algeria :)

Anonymous said...

The buns looks perfect! Did you put egg wash to these buns? I love the color! :)