Kitchen Corner

January 29, 2010

Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream

I would like to store some homemade vanilla ice cream in the freezer because sometimes I need it to serve with crumble or some hot desserts. Rather making a plain one, I was thinking to make the raspberry ripple so that it's also can be served straight. This is a recipe of Nigella Lawson but I've modified it a bit as I feel the custard is quite rich and thick. So, by reducing the sugar and adding some yogurt with fresh milk make a slightly light and refreshing ice cream. I like the sourly of raspberry, it served so well with hot chocolate desserts, crumble or cream puffs!
Recipe:
600g single cream (I used 300ml whipping cream & 300ml fresh milk)
6egg yolks
120g caster sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoon plain yogurt
100ml fresh milk
125g raspberries
  1. Warm the milk, whipping cream and half of the sugar in a saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.
  2. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir in the vanilla extract. Mix it into the yogurt and fresh milk, then whisk it vigorously. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
  3. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  4. While the ice cream freezing in the ice cream maker, put the raspberries and the remaining sugar in the processor and puree, then push through a nylon sieve to remove the pips. Then pour into a small, airtight container and stick it into the freezer to thicken but not to set hard.
  5. When the ice cream frozen, but not solid, put one third of it into a container and then dribble over a third of the semi-frozen raspberry syrup. and repeat with another two layers of each. Take a wooden skewer and squiggle through so that the syrup ripples through the ice ream, Cover and put in the deep freeze till set. Enjoy!

15 comments:

grub said...

mmmmmm this looks superb! raspberry ripple ice cream is my second best favourite ice cream flavour. nothing will beat strawberry cheescake ice cream yet... i wonder if it will work on other varieties of berries.

Cosy Bake said...

wow, this is looking great!!! wonder when wil i have the moment to make ice cream....

YUMMMM.......

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Yummy! Rasberry ripple was my childhood favorite! Thanks for sharing this recipe. Must treat me some if I visit you next time ah, heehee. ;D

Quinn said...

Nice...It's summer all year long in Singapore, the more reason you should make it more frequently!

Passionate About Baking said...

Woah! Aiyo, should've made it earlier and pass to me! *grin* Your raspberry ice cream looks really good! And very pro too! Yum yum!

Allie said...

Looks delicious! I love raspberry ripple :)

martina said...

Hi Grace, well this ice cream is superb and the idea to serve with some chocolate dessert is intriguing. At the first occasion (when raspberry will be affordable here, now it isn't!) I'll make raspberry ice cream! Do you think could work also with blackberry or blueberry? And with frozen berry? thanks a lot
Martina

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi grub,
I guess blackberries or blueberries will work well too! Try it yea! Cheers!

Hi Honey Boy,
Thanks for dropping here!

Hi Bee,
Wow! When are you coming to visit me? Sure will reserve a scoop for you, and hope that could help you get back the taste of your childhood ice cream :)

Hi Quinn,
Haha.. that's a very good excuse to make more ice cream hur!!

Hi Jane,
By the time I meet you in town, you might have a "raspberry ripple drink" rather than ice cream hahaha... Hopefully next time when we meet again, the ice cream still keep in my freezer yea!

Hi Allie,
Thanks for your compliments!

Hi martina,
Thanks so much for your lovely words! I think it certainly works well with blackberries and blueberries. I should give it a try when I get some other berries. Cheers!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Look lovely, I like fruity ice cream.

tracieMoo said...

Wow, raspberries ice cream! It looks very pretty and tempting!! I want a scoop of it too..

Food For Tots said...

Oh my! The texture is so soft and smooth. You are such an ice-cream expert! I'm so tempted to make one now. (Still don't have the courage yet). Hehehe!

Blessed Homemaker said...

One of my favourite ice cream!! Simply awesome!

Pei-Lin said...

Hey, this looks sort of similar to the strawberry-vanilla ice cream I just posted! Except yours looks much more presentable! Mine is too rustic, hahahaha ...!

mavis said...

hi,if i dont ice cream maker,how can i make this?thanks

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Mavis,
To get a smooth and creamy texture, this ice cream should be made by an ice maker.