Kitchen Corner

December 12, 2008

Creamy Braided Bread

These are the super soft yet tasty bread as it's produced by the cream, milk and butter. I know it's a bit unhealthy as its contain lots of fat in there. Well, I've promised to myself will not make this so often. I've given away a loaf for my friend and left one for our breakfast.
This was my first attempt on making a braided bread, it looks very ugly. Unlike the one I read from the recipe book of 孟老师的100道面包. But, I'll try to make better next time if I found a chance to give away a loaf again :P
Other than the appearance, it taste really good with the soft texture and buttery flavour.
Recipe:
(A) 200g bread flour / 30g sugar / 1/4 tsp salt / 18g egg yolks / 3g yeast / 100g cream / 40g milk / 20g butter
(B) For the crumble toppings: 30g sugar powder / 50g plain flour / 5g milk powder / 40g cold butter
How I made it:
  1. Mix ingredients (A) except butter at low speed using a dough hook mixer, then turn to medium speed until it become a smooth dough.
  2. Add in the butter and knead with low speed until the butter combine with the dough. Turn to medium speed continue the kneading process until it become a smooth and elastic dough.
  3. Place the dough into a lightly grease bowl and cover with cling wrap to proof for 80 minutes.
  4. While waiting for the dough, mix the ingredients (B) with finger tips until it become crumbly texture. Set aside and ready to use.
  5. Divide the dough into 6 portions and round them into small balls. Let them rest for 15 minutes.
  6. Roll each dough into longish shape about 28cm and form a braiding. Tighten up both side of the dough and proof for 30 minutes.
  7. Egg wash the doughs and sprinkle over some crumble on the doughs. Bake at 180'C preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,
I have been a fan of your blog since I came across it by chance.

Your braided bread makes me drool.

May I know what is the cream in this recipe?

Thanks.

Jean

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jean,
Thank you for your support! I used cooking cream or whipping cream for this recipe.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wow, your braided bread looks really good. Really inspire me to make it the next time I want to make some bread. ;) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Small Small Baker said...

I thought it looks great! I think didn't copy down this recipe. I must have missed it! Got to try this. :)

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
Nice braided breads. You call that ugly?? It looks so uniform to me. Hmm...I wonder what your perfect will be...all braids be of equal size and dimensions? :p

Happy Homebaker said...

Those loaves look like store bought ones! How lovely!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hello Honey Bee Sweet, Small Small Baker, Happy Homebaker & Jane. Thank you for all your lovely words :)

Happy Flour said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

Happy Baking.

Snooky doodle said...

This looks nice! I ma freak in bread making :(

Baking Queen said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

I really like your Creamy Braided bread and I knew that the cream which you use is whipping cream. Is it the one easily available in Phoon Huat (London Gold brand) and also in NTUC?? I am so eager to try out this weekend. By the way,
u mentioned to divide the dough in 6 portion, what is the weight per portion?

Regards
Mary

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Mary,
Yes, you could get it from Phoon Huat (London Gold brand or GreenField). I'm sorry, I forgot to measurement of the 6 portions. You could weight the total amount and divide into 6. Cheers!

Trish said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

I cannot get the soft texture for the bread. Mine is abit hard. how long did you take to knead your dough using dough hook mixer? i knead for 20mins. How fast is your medium speed? Does it matter to use warm milk than cold milk?

please advise? kinda lost.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Trish,
I knead the dough nearly to 30 minutes, it's very depend on the consistency. Make sure it's no longer sticky and easy to handle one. I used 2.5 speed for the kneading. Please don't use warm milk, cold milk or room temeprature one will do.

Trish said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

thanks. i will try again.. because im using speed 2..

Anonymous said...

Hey, how many egg yolks do u use for this recipe? thanks :)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
18 gram of egg yolks is about 1 large egg yolk.

Anonymous said...

This bread is easy to make and yield soft bread. One of my favorite. Thanks for the recipe.

hazel said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

Thanks for all the recipes you've been posting. You've really been of great help to new bakers like me. Was just wondering though, what type of mixer do you use for your doughs in bread? Kitchen Aid? or just the regular mixers with dough hook attachment?

Thanks in advance.

Hazel

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Hazel,
I'm using KitchenAid mixer for making doughs.