Kitchen Corner

January 19, 2009

Baked Banana Cheesecake

I bake this banana cheesecake for many years and still it's one of my favorites cheesecake. This is something can be made in advance, keep in the fridge and serve casually for my guests without any hassle.
Recipe for 9 Inches spring form pan Bottom base: 155g Digestive biscuits 75g butter Fillings: 500g cream cheese, softened 90g caster sugar 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups mashed banana (700g overripe bananas)
3 eggs
How I made it:
  1. To make the base, process the biscuits in the food processor to make rough crumbs and add the melted butter. Process again until it makes damp, clumping crumbs and then tips them into a 9 inch springform tin. Press the biscuit crumbs into the bottom of the tin to make an even base and put into the freezer while you make the filing.
  2. Preheat the oven to 160’C. Put a kettle on to boil.
  3. Beat the cream cheese to soften it and then add the sugar. Mix in vanilla extract and mashed banana till combine.
  4. Mix in the beaten eggs one at a time till just combine. (Do not over beat or mix)
  5. Take the springform tin out of the the freezer and line the outside of the tin with a good layer of clingfilm, and then another layer of strong foil over that. This will protect it from the water bath.
  6. Sit the springform tin in a roasting pan and pour in the cheesecake filing. Fill the roasting pan with just-boiled water to come about halfway up the cake tin, and bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour.
  7. The top of the cheesecake should be set, but the underneath should still have a wobble to it. Peel away the foil and clingfilm wrapping and sit the cheesecake in its tin on a rack to cool.
  8. Chill in the fridge once it’s no longer hot, and leave to set, covered with clingfilm, overnight.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace
Thank u so much !! It looks so nice!! I'l try to make a Banana cake.

Snooky doodle said...

DIDN T KNOW THAT CHEESECAKES CAN BE MADE WITH BANANAS TOO! THIS LOOK DELICIOUS :)

Bits said...

This is definitely awesome! Look at the colour is so brilliant and lovely!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Nam,
Please visit http://gracekitchencorner.blogspot.com/2008/06/banana-walnut-cake.html for banana cake recipe. Thank you!

Hi Snooky doodle,
I didn't know banana could make cheesecake at first until my first trial. It's absolutely tasty :P

Hi Bits of Life 'n' Taste,
Thanks for your lovely words!

Tasmin said...

Is this cake firm? im thinking of making this cake as a 2 tier cheesecake..

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Tasmin,
This cake is slightly firm and moist. It's nice to eat cold from the fridge. Cheers!

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Oh I can imagine myself living next to you and sniffing all the fragrance of the bakes from your house.... drooling already !

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,

May I know what do you mean by the mashed banana and in the bracket over ripen banana? Also is the weight include the skin of the banana?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
Get a nicely ripe banana, take off the skin and mash it. Measure 1 1/2 cups for the recipe. (approximately use up 700g over ripe banana means including the skin)

David said...

Hi Grace,

Thank you for your reply.

My cake just out of the oven but is nothing like yours. :'(

Hopefully it taste as great.

Will it be okay if I did not totally mash up the banana?

Must I chill it before serving?

By the way I tried your unbaked coffee cheesecake and it was awesome! :P

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi David, the banana cheesecake has to be chilled five hours or overnight before serve. Please let me know the outcome ok. Thanks!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi David, the banana cheesecake has to be chilled five hours or overnight before serve. Please let me know the outcome ok. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering how you cut the cake, it's so smooth and neat.. I made pumpkin cheesecake (recipe is similar with yours), it turned out great, but fell apart when I cut it, it was sticky on the knife.. thank you

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi anonymous,
Thank you! I used hot knife to cut the cheesecake. Either damp the knife in hot water then clean with hot towel and cut the cake or hot the knife at the stove. Cheers!

my comfort zone.. my rule. said...

hi.. I bake this cheesecake, it's yummy yummy yummy.. thank you for the recipe, I definitely will make it again..

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace, how to get the yellow color layer like yours? I tried to bake this but the color is light yellow.. And dunno y the cheesecake raised a bit instead of flat on top layer

Anonymous said...

Yummy