Kitchen Corner

September 17, 2008

Chiffon Cup Cakes 杯子蓝莓戚枫蛋糕

These is very light and tasty cup cakes with the combination of blueberry puree, whipped cream, custard and fresh strawberries. I followed a recipe book (不用模型做点心) which use a blueberry chiffon cake mixture to produce these cup cakes. As this cake is very light, you might need a slightly bigger cups to fill in the large amount of mixture to fulfill your appetite. It's great to have a cup of this after the dinner or as a refreshment in the afternoon. Recipe from (不用模型做点心) 4 egg yolks 30g sugar 2g salt 1 tsp vanilla extract 80ml milk 60ml oil 135g plain flour 4g baking powder 6 egg whites 70g sugar For the fillings: 40g blueberry puree, some fresh strawberries, 100ml whipping cream, custard and bluerry puree Method:
  1. Whip the egg whites until peak form then slowly add in sugar continue whipping until a shiny and smooth consistency.
  2. In another bowl, mix egg yolks, oil, milk, vanilla, flour and sugar until everything combine.
  3. Add in 1/3 of the egg white mixture to egg yolks mixture(2) until combine. Then add half of the left over egg whites mixture. Then continue adding the remaining egg whites mixture. Slowly and gently combine everything.
  4. Gently mix in the blueberry puree to get a marble effects. Pour the mixture into each baking cups and bake for 20 - 25 minutes at 180'C.
  5. When the cake cool down, cut a hole at the center with a serrated knife and reserve the lids. Squeeze in some custard, whipped cream and blueberry puree. Finally, top with a strawberry and some blueberry puree then place back the lids.
  6. Keep in the fridge. It's nice to served cool.

10 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
I really like your presentations. Simple food like chiffon, you can make it look so tempting. The colour is also very nice. I really want to learn from you on the presentation. :) Looking forward to more of your bakes!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane,
Thank you so much for your lovely words. Actually I learn the presentation from recipe book. I would say, I'm not so creative but a very copy cat kekeke... Cheers!

Goody Egg said...

Hi,
I'm just wondering whether there is a typo error in your recipe as I saw "4 egg yolks" and "6 egg yolks" respectively but no sign of egg whites. Should it be " 6 egg whites"?

Very attractive looking chiffon cupcakes and very beautifully photographed.

Regards, Kium

Kitchen Corner said...

Thanks Kium,it's six egg whites. I've made correction. Cheers!

javapot said...

Its been a while since I've done chiffon cake with results I am pleased with. I'm SO inspired your lovely pix to give this a go. Can I find out how you do the filling which requires custard - you mean, mix custard powder into the whipping cream? If so, how much?

Tks also for answering my query on the crusty bread.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Javapot,
First of all, I cooked some custard (or you could by ready made custard). Pour the custard into a piping bag.
Whip the fresh cream then pour into a piping bag as well. Cut a hole at the center of the cup cake then squeeze some custard into the cake and squeeze some whip cream. Spoon some blueberry puree and top with fresh strawberry. Happy Baking!!

Anonymous said...

hi grace, I noticed when u make your chiffon, there is always corn flour in the egg white. other recipes dun call for it. May I know what is the purpose? And u also dun put in lemon juice or cream of tartar. Can u explain?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Weng,
Yes, most of the chiffon cakes I've been made consist of corn flour. I followed a recipe book named 戚枫蛋糕秘方传授. It mentioned that adding some corn flour in the egg whites will absorb the liquid of the egg whites in order to stabilize the maringue and produce different texture. I guess its chemical reaction is quite similar with cream of tartar or lemon juice.

Anonymous said...

Okay. Thanks for the info. I will try to experiment with corn flour the next time. But if i add corn flour, do I still have to add cream of tartar ?

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Weng,
I never used cream of tartar for chiffon cake before because the recipe I read only called for corn flour. Different recipe produce different chemical reaction. Happy baking!