Kitchen Corner

April 20, 2010

Mint Chip Ice Cream


Daddy gaves me a pot of mint leaves. I'm so glad to receive this pot of mint although it's just a little pot but I think it's enough for my usage either for decoration on a cake or cooking. This little pot of mint growing quite fast and it show that I must use it up before the old leaves go dry. I pick some for making this mint chip ice cream.

A recipe from Artisan Gelato, it's quite straight forward like the other ice cream recipes I've been using. However, I find the ice cream don't have the stronge mint effect and quite dissapointed with the pale color. I'm actually expecting a sharp green leaves color also a powerful mints flavour. Although I can feel the "cool" but not that "WOW" effect. I guess it might not enough mint leaves although I've followed exactly the recipe which ask for two cups of mint leaves. I think four cups would be great! Anyway, the ice cream is nicely done with the creamy texture and the bit of cooling effect is still nice for this hot weather. I add in some chopped dark chocolate as I think this would become a classic mint ice cream.

Mint Chip Gelato (Artisan Gelato) 

480ml whole milk
150g granulated sugar (I used 100g)
2 cups fresh mints leaves
4 large egg yolks
240ml heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
90g chopped dark chocolate

Pour the milk into a medium size, heavy bottomed saucepan, add approximately 100g (70g) of the sugar, place over medium heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture register 77C on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the heat, add the mint leaves, and stir to make sure that they're fully submerged (don't worry if they float to the top). Cover and let steep for 2 hours. (The longer the mint leaves steep, the stronger the mint flavor will be.)

Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean, medium size, heavy bottomed saucepan, pressing on the mint leaves to remove as much flavor as possible. Discard the mint leaves and place the steeped mixture back on the stove top over medium heat. Warm, stirring occasionally to keep the bottom from scorching, until it registers 77C on an instant read thermometer.

In a nonreactive, medium-size bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining 50g (30g) of sugar until foamy and slightly thickned. Carefully temper the eggyolks with the hot milk mixture by slowly adding about half of the hot liquid to the eggs, whisking continously. Pour the heated egg mixture into the sauce pan with the hot milk and return to the stove top. Stirring continously with a wooden spoon or heatproof rubber spatula, cook the mixture over medium heat until it register 85C on an instant read thermometer or is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon or spatula, taking care to make sure the mixture does not boil. Remove from the heat. Emulsify the mix, if not completely smooth, before incorporating it into the cold cream.

Pour the heavy cream into a clean, large stainless-steel or glas mixing bowl set over an ice bath. Pour the heated custard through a fine mesh sieve or strainer into the cold cream, add the vanilla extract, and stir until fully incorporated. Stir occasionally about every 5 minutes until teh mixture has fully cooled. This should take about 1/2 hour. Remove the mixing bowl from the ice bath, dry off the bottome of the bowl if necessary, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight. When ready, pour the chilled mixture into the ice-cream maker and about 2 minutes from being done, slowly add the chopped chocolate. Finish processing the gelato.

Remove the finished gelato from the ice cream maker and place in a plastic continer. Cover with plastic wrap by pressing the wrap gently against the top of the gelato, affix lid to container, and place in the freezer to fully harden before serving.

20 comments:

Blessed Homemaker said...

Grace, I'm envious you've got a mint plant. I've always wanted to have one from stem cuttings as it's so difficult to grow any herbs from seeds.

DD1 saw your pic and went "Wow! Can you make this?" I said no cos we don't have any mint leaves (so lame :P).

ReeseKitchen said...

WA..i like mint ice cream, and yours make me want to have it right now..;) I'll consider to get an ice cream maker..hee hee..:)

Elin Chia said...

Hi Grace...thanks for this delicious gelato...you always me happy just drooling thru the window . I love this , thanks for sharing :) will try this one day. Btw I have an award for you, do drop by to collect when you are free :)

martina said...

If you "need" the green color the best thing you can do is add some colouring... actually the mint sirup is white, but is always coloured to seem real. hope this helps Martina

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Ooh, that looks wonderful. I'm a sucker for mint chip ice cream.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

It's so classy that you put the ice cream in the Martini cups. ;) This is definitely a great desert to cool off the hot days lately. Yum!;)

Happy Flour said...

Mint ice-cream is one of my favourite. How nice it would be to have a scoop to cool me down from this kind of hot...hot... day.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Blessed Homemaker,
Yes, I agree with you, it's difficult to grow any herb from seeds. I'm glad to have this little pot of mint from my dad. It's very useful. Anyway, I'm sure you could make this ice cream too, just buy the mints from the market will do.


Hi Reese Kitchen,
Ya, it's fun to have an ice cream maker at home. Look forward to see your new ice cream maker and your homemade ice cream soon.

Hi Elin,
Thanks for dropping here to leave a lovely words!

Hi martina,
Thanks! Now only I know those commercial ice cream is actually adding coloring to get the sharp green color. Thanks for telling me this. I shouldn't add any coloring then. It would be just fine for me with this pale color after all. Cheers!

Hi Cookie Baker Lynn,
Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
Hi Happy Flour,

Who can resist this cool mint ice cream in this hot weather here right?! haha.. I almost melted like the ice cream...it's terrible hot here!

Bakericious said...

feel like eating the ice cream, yum yum

Pam said...

I will be trying this, love it! Ice cream is the best, especially when it is minty. Great way to serve it too but I think I would really have to eat more of it than that. ;)

Happy Homebaker said...

I've grown a pot of mint leaves from stem cutting. It was doing well initially, but lately most of the leaves turned brown and I had to prune it down. I am now left with a tiny plant :'(

Passionate About Baking said...

Wow Grace, this looks like something I would love to have anytime! With the dark choc, it's even better! I think the colour is good enough. Probably those selling outside adds green colouring. I would very much preferred yours as it's all natural, no colourings! Topped it off with mint leaves taste even better! :)

tigerfish said...

I used to dislike mint ice-cream probably because of the artificial mint flavorings they used but with fresh mint, I would love to give another chance for mint ice-cream.

Angie's Recipes said...

It's still very cold here...but who cares! I want a large scoop of mint ice cream!

Quinn said...

Awwww....chocolate and mint go so well together!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

I am so envious that you are churning out so many delicious ice cream recipes. You must have a ice cream maker, I guess, if not, you should definitely get one.

WendyinKK said...

choc and mint is my favourite combination :)

Anonymous said...

Mint ice cream has always been my favourite! this looks fantastic! you must be so popular on warm days!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I'm last, any left for me? hehehe, this mint ice cream look so coooool..

Padhu Sankar said...

Mint ice cream looks so yummy!!
http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com