Kitchen Corner

May 9, 2008

Red Bean Paste

I bought a pack of red bean quite some time ago but only this time I have mood to made something with red bean. I might use it for red bean pao or red bean bun or just spread on a piece of bread for breakfast. Well, I normally cook quite a lot as it could store very well in the fridge for 2 to 3 days or 3 weeks in the freezer. Of course I could easily get it from supermarket or bakery shop, but today I really have the mood to do it myself. I roughly washed 300g of red bean then cooked with 600ml of water at high heat with the lid on. It tooks about 10 minutes until the water bubbles up then I added 250ml of water (I've just added drinking water which is not hot or cold). I put the lit on again and cooked for another 5 minutes until it bubbles up again. I roughly washed it through a drainer again then put back to the pan and cook with 800ml of water until the red bean swelling but not breaking. Then roughly wash through a drainer again. This time I cooked with 850ml of water with Pandan Leaves at medium heat for 40 to 60 minutes with lid on. In between, I added some water (just drinking water) 2 to 3 times to prevent drying out and make sure the water cover up least 2 to 3cm from the top of red bean. Then I check whether it's soft enough by using a spatula to scraped a few bean before drained it and took away the pandan leave. I let it cook about 30 minutes before blend it in a food processor until it became a paste.
I cooked the bean paste with 150g of sugar with low medium heat and keep stirring with wooden spoon until I could draw a "1" in the pan. I divided it 8 or 9 portion by a big spoon to let it completely cool.After it completely cool down I made it into 18 little balls about 40g each and store some in the fridge and some in the freezer. I think I shall use it for a red bean pao soon.

No comments: