Kitchen Corner

June 22, 2010

Blueberry Bakewell Tart


I guess it's blueberry season now as I realized there are many bloggers had posted their bakes with blueberry which had given me lots of inspiration. I didn't think much and took two punnets of fresh blueberries when I saw it in the supermarket. At first, there are many ideas came to my mind whether to make muffins, pancake, juice or crumble etc but I don't really have the appetite to eat what is in my mind so ended up I choose to make a rustic yet with country feel of bakewell tart which will top with my fresh and juicy blueberries. I like bakewell tart because the almond bring lots of flavor with the combination of butter together with the shortcrust pasty. Normally I would like to make bakewell tart with plum or apple and here I found blueberry goes well well with it too! A piece of this nutty and buttery flavor tart for an afternoon tea,  simplicity is my biggest satisfaction. 


Recipe for 8 inches baking pan

For the pastry:
220g plain flour
110g unsalted butter
20g sugar powder
pinch of salt
2 egg yolks + 2 tbsp water

For the fillings:
95g ground almond
27g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
83g unsalted butter
55g caster sugar
1 egg
some blueberry jam


Method:
  1. For the pastry, add the cold water to the egg yolks and stir with a fork.
  2. Place the flour into the bowl of a food processor, followed by the cold butter, sugar powder and the salt.
  3. Turn the processor on and pulse several times until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
  4. Add two-thirds of the egg yolk/water mixture and pulse again. If the mixture is still too dry, add the remaining egg and water mixture (you may not need to use all of it). Be careful not to overwork the pastry. Stop pulsing when the mixture has the consistency of chunky breadcrumbs.
  5. Turn the pastry out onto a clean, floured work surface and, with floured hands, bring together to make a smooth dough, but don't knead.
  6. Shape into a flattened ball, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for about 10-15 minutes. You can keep the pastry at this stage for 2-3 days if not using it immediately.
  7. Remove the pastry from the fridge. On a clean, floured work surface, roll it out with a floured rolling pin until it's slightly larger than the flan ring. Using the rolling pin, lift the pastry and lay it over the flan ring.
  8. With your fingers, lightly press the pastry into the sides of the ring. Run a rolling pin over the top of the ring and pull away the excess pastry at the edges. Using your fingers, gently press the pastry up to slightly build up the height of the pastry at the edges. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork.
  9. For the fillings, blitz the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a food processor until light and creamy.
  10. Add in the ground almond, plain flour and beaten eggs and whiz until completely mixed and smooth.
  11. Place in the fridge to firm up for at least half an hour.
  12. Spoon some blueberry jam into the pastry case then spread the almond batter over the blueberry jam.
  13. Arrange the blueberries on the surface of the almond batter, pressing them in lightly.
  14. Bake the tart in the 180'C preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Remove tarts from the oven and leave it to cool.

25 comments:

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Hi Grace,this looks so lovely. I can almost taste the berry sweetness just by looking at the photos.

ann low said...

Oh..this really looks tempting! Beautiful pics ;DD

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Love cake top with fresh fruits, sound refreshing and good !

ICook4Fun said...

Wow Grace, this look great. I just bought a few punnets of blueberries hoping to freeze it for future use. Seeing this I am tempted to make the tarts too :)

WendyinKK said...

I tried tartlette's recipe the other day with fresh apricots and the result was really good (she uses honey in the filling), but sigh, cannot eat too often, cos so much butter in the filling and crust. I'll try with blueberries if I want to make some almond tart, thanks for sharing.

Quinn said...

Your Bakewell Tart loos so goooooooood.......I love how the blueberries are squished a little in the tart and releases its juice into the cake like that, beautiful!!!!!

Cosy Bake said...

Nice tart!! I wish My family like tarts too. but.... the blueberries are so big n sweet. I ever bought some that are as big as raspberries!

pigpigscorner said...

ooo this looks amazing with the berries floating around!

Piggy said...

The tart is beautiful, must be very yummy!

thecoffeesnob said...

I've never had a bakewell tart but I imagine these would be perfect for tea!

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in to say hi! That sounds delicious!

Bakericious said...

the crust looks so buttery and crispy and with the blueberries, so tempting!

ReeseKitchen said...

Wa..this look so good..:) Love it!

Happy Homebaker said...

Your tart is so lovely! I wish I could pick up a slice from my screen ;)

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
This tart taste really good! I really love the berries and the fragrance of the ground almonds. The tart crust was really crispy too! I love it very much. Glad that LJ passed a slice for me to try. Yummy!

Food For Tots said...

Yeah, blueberries are so cheap and sweet now. We can't resist the bargain and bought more than 2 punnets! All went straight into our stomachs! Tart is always my to-bake list. Yours looks absolutely gorgeous especially those juicy blueberries are making me craving for one now!

DG said...

This is look delicious, can I have a slice ?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Grace, this is such a lovely tart! I was hoping to bake a tart, but astray and went to baked a cheesecake yesterday, heehee. Okay, bookmark yours, will try it out soon, thanks!

Pei-Lin said...

Grace, your bakewell tart looks scrumptious! Thanks for sharing! I love how the blueberries exude their "nectar" amid the nutty goodness of the almonds!

Yea, I grabbed a total of 500 g fresh California blueberries from the market, too! They're now tucked safely in my freezer ... Still haven't figured out what to make with them ... A tart sounds good!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

I have been making blueberry pancakes like crazy..i love them!! but that tart looks amazing, the pastry so flaky and tender...wow...what a great way to use our lovely fresh berries!

Cheah said...

That's a marvellous piece of tart.
Looking at the pics is already salivating!

Pei-Lin said...

Grace, just emailed you through your Hotmail account. Please check your mail. Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon!

Bits said...

It looks so appetizing! It must be very tasty!

Ms Demeanour said...

Hi there, I was wondering if you were interested in
collaborating on a televised baking project I am working on? I couldn’t find any contacts to talk with you direct. If you are interested please email me at talya.stone100 AT googlemail DOT com.
Thanks & hope to speak soon,
Talya

Elin Chia said...

Grace...I just bake a cake using fresh blueberries :p guess it's the season now. Great tart..will want to try your bakewell tart since I have a peep at it now. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)