Kitchen Corner

May 20, 2009

Biscotti

Biscotti is my daily snack, I have it in my kitchen at all time for my craving teeth. I know many of you know how to made it but it's just a sharing as I didn't bake and blog much recently. This is a recipe from James Martin. I've been using his recipe for many years as my snack or gift for friends. I find homemade biscotti is always richer because we could add any nuts as we like and the quantity of nuts added will not stingy at all. The nuts I like the most is Almond, Hazelnut and Pistachio. Other than nuts, I find that adding some lemon zest into the mixture taste really good. I used food processor to make the mixture, it's really a simple snack to make and nice to crave! Recipe of James Martin (Desserts): 250g plain flour 125g caster sugar 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 3 medium eggs, lightly beaten 1 lemon zest 75g shelled pistachio nuts 50g whole blanched almonds 50g shelled hazelnut
  1. Toast the shelled nuts in the preheated oven at 100'C for about 15 minutes.
  2. Mix the flour, sugar, lemon zest and baking powder in a large bowl (I mix the ingredients in a food processor). Add half the beaten eggs and mix well, then add half of what's left and mix again. Now add the last quarter a little bit at a time until the dough takes shape but isn't too wet (you may not need to use all of the eggs). Add the toasted nuts and mix well.
  3. Divide the dough into six, roll into sausage shapes and place on the lined baking tray (wetting your hands before rolling these cut helps to prevent the dough sticking). Lightly flatten the doughs.
  4. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave for 10 minutes to cool and firm up.
  5. Using a serrated knife, cut the biscotti on an angle into slice. Lay the slices on the baking trays. Return to the oven and cook for 8 minutes, then turn the slices over and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until a pale golden colour. Cool on wire racks, then store in airtight jars.

10 comments:

martina said...

Hi Grace, great to see you back on track... Are these biscotti totally without butter or oil?? If so I elect you as my personal idol!! I love to indulce in some treat but I hate to gain weight and to crave for something unhealthy...so these biscotti are the perfect combination of good and healthy stuff (nuts) and something you can always have around!! thanks a lot
Martina

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Martina,
This recipe did not consist of butter or oil. That's the reason I like biscotti. Hope you like this recipe. Cheers!

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
Time to top up your favourites in the kitchen? Must've run out for a long long time since you didn't bake for so long! Your recipe is really very healthy wor! It looks pretty easy, but I know it's not as easy as it seems. The biscottis look very nice. Keep a piece for me till we meet next week can anot? :)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane,
Yes, time to top up my cookies jar. The jar has been empty for quite some time. This is a simple recipe. You'll know how to make it. Anyway, it's my pleasure to serve you this biscotti till we meet again. Cheers!

Mary said...

i love these biscotti , i made them around christmas time and instead of using almonds i had chestnuts , well they still came out with a delicious flavour!

Elyse said...

Mmm, I love biscotti!! Man oh man, they're truly a great snack. I love dipping them in tea or coffee. So good--those contrasting textures. Who would've thought I'd grow up to love a crunch "cookie"?! Yours look so great.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Mary,
Adding chestnut in the biscotti is such a good idea especially in Christmas. I'll try it out. Cheers!

Hi Elyse,
I like to dip them in coffee too! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

May i know whether this biscoti is the crunchy & light or hard ( as need to be dunked in coffee )please ?
They look fabulous though !
Thanks
chih

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Anonymous,
This is hard crunchy biscotti. Normally Italian will dunked in coffee but as for me I like to bite it.

Funny things said...

wooh looks good biscoti,.. i wanna try make it