Kitchen Corner

May 26, 2010

Orange Roll

It seems like a "rolled" month for me. You will notice there are crepe roll, peach roll and followed by this orange roll from my list. The last attempt of peach roll was using 指形蛋糕 from 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 with a method of whisking egg whites until peak stiff then add in the egg yolk. For this orange roll, again... with the recipe of 孟老师 - 分蛋式海绵蛋糕 which I found even better although it's slightly more steps but worth it! The sponge cake is very soft and easy to roll up. The orange taste is excellent as the orange strips are everywhere on the sponge surface. The fillings suppose to be can orange but I use fresh one instead. Perhaps can orange would be much tastier as my fresh orange is a bit sour :(


On my last attempt, I forgot to describe on the ingredient calculation for different sizes of baking tray. It's really important for this calculation because we all have different sizes of baking tray compare with different recipe books. You don't want to have too thick or too thin sponge but rather have the same picture from the recipe book so that it's much easier to roll up and the result come out as good as the pictures shown. Good thing about 孟老师的 recipe that she gave very detail information. Please refer to the calculation if you like to try out this recipe or from any recipe books. Hope you find it useful.


Ingredients Calculation for different baking tray

孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 (36cm x 26cm = 936)
Kitchen Corner (36cm x 36cm = 1296)

1296 ÷ 936 = 1.38 ( make it 1.4)
All ingredients from the recipes should x 1.4 to match my baking tray

My calculation of 36cm x 36cm from 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷

1 Orange strips (2 or more)  
20g Unsalted butter (28g
20g Orange juice (28g)
100g egg yolks (140g)
25g caster sugar (35g)
160g egg whites (224g)
75g caster sugar (105g)
55g plain flour (77g)
  1. Prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper. Remove the orange strips from its skin and place on the tray. Melt the butter than set a side to cool then add in the orange juice. 
  2. Whisk the egg yolks with sugar in a double boiler until thicken and pale in color. In another bowl whisk the egg whites with caster sugar until peak foam.
  3. Fold the egg yolks into the egg whites then gently fold in the shifted flour. 
  4. Pour some mixture (3) into a clean bowl then mix in the melted butter and orange juice. Pour back into the mixture of (3) and mix gently until everything well combine. 
  5. Pour into prepared baking tray and spread evenly. Bake at 190C for 10 - 12 minutes. Be careful  not to over bake it. 
  6. Remove the cake from the baking tray immediate when it out from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Tear out the side of the baking paper and let it completely cool down. 
  7. Gently tear out the baking paper and spread your favorite cream on the surface with fresh or can oranges and roll it up. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour before serve.

21 comments:

WendyinKK said...

I love all things orange.
Simply love this.

Bakericious said...

Hi Grace, finally saw ur new posting after a wk waiting :p. The orange roll looks awesome, soft and fluffy. I miss swissroll, can u share some with me :).

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

never taste a swiss roll with orange before, yours look beautiful and refreshing, can I have some for my afternoon tea today, simply good!

E. said...

so pretty, you make me want to make a swiss roll, even though I never made one before. Thanks for the conversion tips btw, before I didn't want to make these rolls b/c I was afraid that my baking pan wasn't the right size.

Passionate About Baking said...

Grace,
This is so nice. I know both of us love citrus fruits. Orange swiss rolls is so special and looks good too! With it's orange peel on the swiss roll, I'm sure it taste very nice! Thanks for sharing on the calculation too. It's indeed very useful!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks for the tip about calculating the ingredients according to the baking tray size. I always thought I can use whatever the recipe gives, hahaha! Will note it down and make sure I uses this formula the next time. Your orange swiss roll is so sunshine like...makes me want to smile and take a bite, heehee!

Happy Flour said...

I simply love this swiss roll with the tangy smell and taste of an orange. :)

MaryMoh said...

Beautiful roll. Love the orange smell. I would love to try. Thanks for sharing.

Piggy said...

Your orange roll looks really great! Love the orange peels on the sponge too!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Grace, this is outstanding! Very professional! You can set up shop to sell this already!

Angie's Recipes said...

Your orange roulade looks terrific with the orange peels in the roll. Simply delicious!

Kitchen Corner said...

Thanks wendyywy!

Hi Jess,
Thanks for dropping here all the time to give me such a lovely words and it came with so much encouragement :) Cheers!

Hi Sonia,
This is also my first time trying orange swiss roll. It's quite refreshing one. I hope to share this swiss roll with you one day!

Hi Esther,
I've the same feeling as yours too! This conversion tips come very useful from the recipe book. I hope it's worth to share.

Hi Jane,
Yes, both of us love citrus crazily! I like the orange peel on the sponge surface as well and the good thing is, it's given the sponge extra flavor. Hope you fine the calculation useful.

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
Last time I use to have my own calculation but I find this is better than what I've been using. Thanks for dropping here and hope you like this recipe. Cheers!

Hi Happy Flour,
Thanks for dropping here, I love the orange taste too!

Hi Mary Moh,
Hope you like this recipe. Enjoy!

Hi Piggy,
Thanks for your lovely words! I love the orange peels too!

Hi Shirley,
Wow! You're praising me too much! Not professional, it's homemade :) Yous lovely words is just so encouraging! Thanks!

Hi Angie's Recipes,
Thanks for dropping here to leave your encouraging words! Cheers!

missy said...

you have deliciously looking orange roll popping out of my monitor. how tempting is that!!

lovely roll.. i doubt i can master this..

Kait said...

This looks delicious. Better than the rolls they sell in the Chinese bakeries.

KatK said...

Simply love your swiss rolls... so beautiful and am getting a bit hungry just looking at it.

I've been trying to make swiss rolls too recently but all my rolls' skins either fell apart or stick to the paper etc...

Any tip on how to get perfect looking skins like yours??? :) Thanks

Kathleen

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Kathleen,
Thanks for dropping here for leaving your lovely words!
There are too many tips on getting a perfect swiss roll. One of the tip I found recently is not over bake the cake as it might be too dry to roll up and crack. Get to know your oven temperature and learn from the experiments. Happy baking!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

You are indeed on a Swissroll Roll! All beautiful!

sharon said...

Hi Grace, your orange cake looks very tempting to me leh... Can i order 1 from you the next we meet? Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi Grace, thanks for sharing. I have adapted the recipe for making pandan rolls:
http://fong-kitchen-journal.blogspot.com/2011/01/pandan-roll.html

H said...

Hello Grace & little one,

Thanks for sharing the calculation, it help a lot. What happen if we get 2,5 egg yolks after the calculation? If we use 3 yolks, the batter will not be too wet? I wish you had the same technique of calculation for tube pan.

Thanks

Jamie

Lanie said...

Hi your orange roll looks amazing! I wonder if i can replace orange with mango?

Thanks,

Lanie