It seems like a "rolled" month for me. You will notice there are crepe roll, peach roll and followed by this orange roll from my list. The last attempt of peach roll was using 指形蛋糕 from 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 with a method of whisking egg whites until peak stiff then add in the egg yolk. For this orange roll, again... with the recipe of 孟老师 - 分蛋式海绵蛋糕 which I found even better although it's slightly more steps but worth it! The sponge cake is very soft and easy to roll up. The orange taste is excellent as the orange strips are everywhere on the sponge surface. The fillings suppose to be can orange but I use fresh one instead. Perhaps can orange would be much tastier as my fresh orange is a bit sour :(
On my last attempt, I forgot to describe on the ingredient calculation for different sizes of baking tray. It's really important for this calculation because we all have different sizes of baking tray compare with different recipe books. You don't want to have too thick or too thin sponge but rather have the same picture from the recipe book so that it's much easier to roll up and the result come out as good as the pictures shown. Good thing about 孟老师的 recipe that she gave very detail information. Please refer to the calculation if you like to try out this recipe or from any recipe books. Hope you find it useful.
Ingredients Calculation for different baking tray
孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 (36cm x 26cm = 936)
Kitchen Corner (36cm x 36cm = 1296)
1296 ÷ 936 = 1.38 ( make it 1.4)
All ingredients from the recipes should x 1.4 to match my baking tray
My calculation of 36cm x 36cm from 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷
1 Orange strips (2 or more)
20g Unsalted butter (28g)
20g Orange juice (28g)
100g egg yolks (140g)
25g caster sugar (35g)
160g egg whites (224g)
75g caster sugar (105g)
55g plain flour (77g)
- Prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper. Remove the orange strips from its skin and place on the tray. Melt the butter than set a side to cool then add in the orange juice.
- Whisk the egg yolks with sugar in a double boiler until thicken and pale in color. In another bowl whisk the egg whites with caster sugar until peak foam.
- Fold the egg yolks into the egg whites then gently fold in the shifted flour.
- Pour some mixture (3) into a clean bowl then mix in the melted butter and orange juice. Pour back into the mixture of (3) and mix gently until everything well combine.
- Pour into prepared baking tray and spread evenly. Bake at 190C for 10 - 12 minutes. Be careful not to over bake it.
- Remove the cake from the baking tray immediate when it out from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Tear out the side of the baking paper and let it completely cool down.
- Gently tear out the baking paper and spread your favorite cream on the surface with fresh or can oranges and roll it up. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour before serve.