Kitchen Corner

August 22, 2008

Bagel 犹太面包 (贝果)

I remember the first bagel sandwich I had was at the Heathrow Airport. Till now, I still remember the chewiness of the bread. There are many recipes of bagel and different ways to form the bagels into a donut shape. Some people likes to roll the dough into a “snake” and pinching the ends together. The other way is to shape the dough into tight balls and poke a hole through the center then stretch out the dough into a ring with fingers.
Since this is my first attempts I would like to go for the basic and simple one. This rustic bagel I made didn't looks very round in shape.
By the way, did you realize that there were actually five bagels in the above image?

These aren’t the giant-sized bagels as I purposely make it for breakfast or a snack.

I am now looking for whole wheat bagel recipe. Would you please share with me if you've got one. Cheers!

Method:

  1. In a large bowl of a stand mixer combine all the ingredients. knead dough with the dough hook until elastic, about 10 minutes on a low speed.
  2. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let proof for 1 hour.
  3. Get ready a large bowl of hot water and preheat the oven to 400F.
  4. When dough has risen, divide into 10 portions. Shape each piece into a tight balls. When all the balls are shaped, let the dough rest for 30 minutes covered with a clean dish towel.
  5. Once dough balls have rested, poke a hole through the center of each dough ball with your fingers. Stretch out the dough into a ring and make sure the hole is slightly larger than you want the finished bagel to have, as the bagel will expanding during the baking process. Let bagels rest for about 10 minutes.
  6. Drop the bagels into the boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes on the first side, then flip and boil for an additional minute.
  7. Transfer bagels to a clean towel to drain for a moment, then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Egg wash the boiled bagel bake for 20-24 minutes, until golden brown. (I garnished it by adding some sesame seeds)

11 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi,
Beautiful Bagels you've got! I always thought bagels can be quite "tough". Is that so? How was this bagel? Is it supposed to be soft even after overnight? Do you eat it plain? Thanks for sharing!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, I have planned to make bagels next week :)
How's the texture of these bagels? Are they very chewy? The recipe that I have on hand looks similar, although the amount of ingredients is slightly different.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane,
Hi HHB,
The bagels not "tough" but quite chewy. I eat it with butter and jam or cheese and ham. It is quite optional. These is my first attempt and the only recipe I had, so I can't confirm this is the best recipe but I will keep trying other recipes from the internet. Hope you guys can try out something different and please do let me know your experiment ok. Thanks a lot!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, I will try it out and let your know...it will be my first attempt too :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, just want to let you know about the bagels I made. They are not overly chewy, maybe the boiling time was too short, 30 seconds per side, and they are not very dense either.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi HHB,
Glad to know you've got good bagels. I believe you enjoy it very much.

martina said...

I know it's a quite late to leave here a comment...but I tried your recipe and I found it fantastic!! I enjoyed out-of-the oven bagel with cream cheese and ham... I could eat all by myself!!! Fortunately my husband helped me!! Have you tried other recipes (wholesome flour maybe)yet? great stuff
thanks a lot Martina

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Martina,
I'm glad that you like the recipe. What do you mean wholesome flour? Do you mean using wholemeal flour? If yes, I would really like to try because I like everything with wholemeal. Please leave your recipe for me ok. Thanks!

martina said...

Yes Grace I meant wholemeal flour...my english is still improving :( (but not so fast!! :)
Anyway I'm looking for that, If I find something I'll let you know!
cheers Martina

martina said...

http://cakecrumbsandcooking.blogspot.com/search/label/bread

Here we go...found it! I've not tried it, but it looks good to me. I don't know well this blogger, so I couldn't garantee you this recipe is right. As soon as I'll try it I'll let you know. Right now I'm packing to fly to Italy for the Easter Holidays!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Martina,
Thanks so much for the website. Will try it! Cheers!