After my first attempt on chocolate tofu mousse recipe, I'm quite curious about tofu desserts recently. This time I'm going to make ice cream which is without cream but tofu, again :P
Well, I've got this recipe through chocolate peanut butter ice cream, I changed the recipe to praline chocolate ice cream.
I've made a cup of praline paste using hazelnut with caramel sugar. I feel that Hazalnut and chocoalte always go very well. You'll hardly get the beany taste from the ice cream as I added vanilla extract and the praline already won over the beany taste.
This ice cream couldn't compare with those Häagen-Dazs ice cream as it didn't contains egg yolks and cream, so it's definately not as rich as Häagen-Dazs. But, it's no different compare to those ice cream box selling in the supermarket with the smooth and creamy texture, and nutty flavour. This is something good for those who afraid of fatness but craving for ice cream.
Recipe for praline paste:
- Heat the 150g sugar in a pan (non-stick pan would be good). Make sure the sugar dissolves and the colour is a nice caramel (the praline can taste bitter if it colours too much). Pour the 100g hazelnut (halves) into the caramel and stir quickly.
- Pour the mixture onto a non-stick mat or onto a sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking tray to cool. Spread the praline out to a thickness of about 1cm.
- When the praline has set, lightly crush with a rolling pin then place into a bag. Using the rolling pin to punch until praline become the size of rock salt.
- Place it into a food processor and blend until it become a thick paste.
Recipe for the ice cream:
- Blend all these ingredients in a food processor (12oz silken tofu, 1 cup praline paste, 3/4 cup pure maple syrup, 1 cup soy milk, 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- Melt 1 cup of dark chocolate in a double boiler. Add the melted chocolate to the tofu mixture (1).
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for 2 hours then process in the ice cream machine.
- Freeze in the freezer for couple of hour. Enjoy!