I bought five passion fruits week ago then left it at the room temperature to ripe. The passion fruits filling could fill up 250ml of glass. It's great!
I used them to make some chiffon cake. This is my first attempt on making chiffon cake by using the passion fruits, and it's really refreshing.
I made two of 17cm chiffon. One for myself and another for my friend who taking care of me very much during my sickness.
I made simple decoration with some passion fruits for topping. If you don't mind to eat the seeds, it's really refreshing dessert and smell so good!
Egg white mixture: 110g egg whites 55g sugar 5g corn flour
Egg yolk mixture: 40g egg yolks 36g vegetable oil 50g passion fruit 55g plain flour Decoration: 200ml whipping cream 20g sugar powder some passion fruit juice without seeds some left over passion fruit
- Scoop out 50g of passion fruits and set aside.
- For the chiffon cake, mix all the egg yolks mixture except flour. When everything well combined then add in sifted flour. Mix everything well combine and no lumps left. The mixture would be quite thick and smooth.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean large bowl until peak foam. Gradually add in sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Then finally add in corn flour. Make sure the corn flour mix well in the egg mixture. The egg whites mixture should be peak foam, smooth and shiny.
- Gently fold in 1/3 of the egg whites mixture into the egg yolks mixture. When everything well combine then gently fold in the 1/2 of the remaining egg whites mixture. Lastly, fold in the remaining egg whites mixture. (Note: This stage took some times and patient and practice. Make sure all the egg whites mixture well combine with the egg yolks mixture without breaking the egg whites. Little egg whites left will cause a big hole in the cake during baking. And, over mixing will cause it hardly rise during the baking.)
- Pour the well mix mixture into a 17cm chiffon cake tin and bake at a 160'C preheated oven for 40 minutes. After baked, let the baked cake turn upside down for cooling before unmold it. .
- Whip the cream with sugar powder until thicken, then mix in some passion fruit juice without the seeds.
- Cream the chiffon cake then deco with some leftover passion fruits on top of the cake. Keep the cake in the fridge it could last for 4 days. Best serve in 3 days.