Kitchen Corner

September 1, 2009

Pineapple Tart

OK, please don't laugh at me yea! I know it's not a right time to make pineapple tarts at this time of year. But, I'm craving for it very much recently. To fulfill my desirable, I've got to find a way to make it although I don't know how. I always admire those can make very yummy pineapple tarts. This recipe was given by a friend who sell many cookies in the CNY. She made very good pineapple tart and she is kind enough to share the recipe with me. Finally I could make something for coming CNY, although it's still too far away :P That's give me plenty of time to practice. This recipe is just right to my taste. I like the pastry which is melt in the mouth but not fragile when I hold it with my fingers. The homemade pineapple fillings just suit to my taste which is not too dry or too wet. After the first attempts, I realized that the reason of pineapple tarts are always expensive than other cookies because it's very time consuming. But the good things for homemade pineapple jam could be made earlier and store in the fridge until I've the mood of making it. My family members all like pineapple tarts, it's good to learn and make some for them. Recipes given by Huey For the pastry: 250g butter 30g icing sugar 1 egg yolk + 1/2 egg whites 360g plain flour 2 tbsp custard powder Pineapple Jam Filling: 2 pineapples, grated 160g sugar (depends on the sweetness of pineapple) 2 cloves 3cm cinnamon stick 1 tbsp lime juice 1 egg, beaten for glazing
  1. Pineapple jam: Put all ingredients into a big pot, bring to boil, lower fire and leave to cook till almost dry, stirring once in a while. When almost dry, keep stirring to prevent it from burning until golden brown and dry. Leave to cool. Divide into small parts and form into balls.
  2. Pastry: Mix butter, icing sugar and egg yolk till creamy. Fold in flour and mix to form a dough. Place into the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
  3. Put pastry into the mould and pipe 5cm length. Place filling at one end and roll up. Glaze with beaten egg.
  4. Bake at 180C till golden brown. Leave to cool before storing.

17 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...

You know Grace, I love pineapple tarts too! When it's CNY, that would be the first new year goodie I "attack", haha! Believe me, it's always a reason to make pineapple tarts. ;)

cherry potato said...

How long you take to finish those pineapple tarts? Your tarts looks so yummy!

Happy Homebaker said...

Your pineapple tarts look so good! You never fail to inspire me with all your lovely bakes! I wish I could have a tub of your pineapple tarts ;)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
That's great we are the fans of pineapple tarts, you could share it with me next time yea! It's the only cookies I like to eat in CNY, so I must learn to make it!

Hi cherry potato,
It's finished in no time. I gave half portion for my friend and the others was finished by me and my husband :P

Hi HHB,
Very "pai seh", my first attempt wasn't that great. I must say you're better in all the baking. I always look through your recipes everytime I need to try something new. I like all your baking!

Irene's Footprints said...

Hi
What sort of mould you use? From Phoon Huat?

Lovely shapes...

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
You finally found some time to bake the pineapple tarts! Your 1st attempt? I don't believe that! It's so nicely done up and baked. Can you keep some for me please? I beg you! I'm a BIG GREAT fan of pineapple tarts, especially good ones!! Looking at yours made me salivate...

Happy Flour said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

See your pineapple tart also make me craving for it. Can reserve one bottle for me. ;P

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Irene's Travel Log,
I bought the pineapple pipping mold from Phoon Huat. I like to eat pineapple in this shape, a mouthful will do :P

Hi Jane,
I really feel shame that now only I learn to make this chinese cookie.As I really like to eat it and all my family like it too. So, I try my best to practice now to make the best to suit their taste. I need some time to improve as I find difficulty to make the pineapple tarts in the same size and shape. Very time comsuming for me.

Hi Happy Flour,
Thanks! I need more time to practice to make it much prettier. Will share it with you when it's ready to be served yea!

My Food Adventure said...

I never get it right with this kinda pineapple tart, it'll either stuck onto my piping mould or It's too solid to pipe so i ended up making pineapple "Ball"..

Great Job!!

Federica Simoni said...

complimenti!!! bellissimi e buonissimi!

tracieMoo said...

I'm going to make this for the next CNY! or earlier to feed my craving! thanks so much for the recipe!

Anh said...

Absolutely beautiful. You remind me to make some very soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,

May I know which tip did you use to pipe the pastry?

Thanks!
Jassy

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jassy,
I found a picture which is quite similar to the pipe I have. Pls have a look on this site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kookyculinary/2431054325/

Anonymous said...

Hi,thanks for sharing the recipe,may I know when we cook the pineapple jam, do we remove the core to cook the jam?

Thanks.
Sem

Sherly said...

Hi, the cookies look yummy

Caffeine&tomatoes said...

Hi Grace,
thanks for the recipe, i made a successful batch of pineapple tart with it today.

Happy Chinese New Year.
Regards,
June