Here is a birthday cake I made for my darling birthday. It is always difficult to decide what cake should I preapre for his big day with my limited skills and also limited time. He suggest to have a traditional soft sponge celebration cake and that sound like not too difficult thing for me. I just simply use an old recipe then add some strawberry will do.
But I personally feel like that really nothing special and feel like lack of sincerity too. So I twist the flavour a bit on the cake by using marscapone cheese with some Cointreau and Baileys. That combination turn the cake to become very special although the outlook is just a normal birthday cake which could easy bought from a bakery shop. I brushed the sponge with plenty of Baileys that make the cocoa sponge so moist and soft then sandwich with the mascarpone cream that had added lots of Cointreau. The strawberry is a compliment that makes the whole cake so refreshing and looks prettier too.
I could see the surprise expression from his face during his first bite on the cake and his smile told me he is super satisfy with the birthday cake.
May the Lord Jesus Christ keep him and bless him on the year a head.
8 inches Cocoa Sponge Cake
Mascarpone Cheese 500g
Caster Sugar 100g
Freshly squeezed Lemon juice 2 tablespoon
Cointreau 4 tablespoons
Whipping cream 260ml
Half cups of baileys or more
Whipping cream 300ml
1 tablespoon caster sugar
Some shredded chocolate flakes
- Beat the mascarpone cheese with sugar then add in the lemon juice follow by the Cointreau and mix well.
- In another bowl, whip up the whipping cream until about the same consistency as the mascarpone mixture. Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture. Be aware not to over work with the mixture as they might split and the mixture will become rough.
- Divide the cocoa soonge cake to 3 pieces then generously brush the baileys all over the cake. Spread some of the mascarpone cream on the brushed liquer cake then arrange some strawberry and cover with some mascarpone cream. Sandwich with the second piece of cake on top.
- Brush some baileys on the second piece of cake then fill in the some mascarpone cream follow by the strawberry and then the mascarpone cream again.
- Sandwich with the last piece of cake then brush all over with the remaining baileys on the cake.
- Whip up the whipping cream with caster sugar until peak foam. Cover the whole cake with whipped cream then decorate it with some strawberry and shredded chocolate. Chill in the fridge for 5 hours or overnight before serve.