Kitchen Corner

April 1, 2014

Fun with fondue pot



I have just realised this little pot is actually  a really fun thing to play with especially for the weekend where everyone is relaxing at home or friends coming over for chit chat. It was such a waste I have been keeping few of them in my storeroom for  years until lately my son remind me he loves to blow candles. With this particular reason I have a reason for him to sit down and finish his meal with me and then he  is allowed to blow the fondue candle. It works! 


The first fondue I made is dessert fondue which serve along with my son's favorites fruits. Then the second is savoury cheese fondue serve with some vegetables. I personally like to dip the green apple with cheese, somehow I find the taste goes very well together. Nowadays,  playing with the fondue pot is something very special for my son, my hubby and me too! We are looking forward to have it every weekend, crazy us! Someone even request for curry fondue, isn't it crazy?


I discovered two quite nice and simple to made recipes for chocolate fondue and cheese fondue. Before I discover a better one, I will stick on this two recipes.


Chocolate Fondue:
I used half of the following ingredients for a small family like us.

3/4 cup heavy cream
8 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 to 4 tablespoons liqueur, such as chocolate (Godiva), hazelnut (Frangelico), almond (amaretto), orange (Grand Marnier), or coffee (Kahlúa)
Some favorites choices of fruits such as banana,  strawberry,  raspberry,  grapes, breadsticks etc.

Place the cream in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, add the chocolate, and whisk until smooth.
Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until smooth. Whisk in the liqueur until incorporated and smooth.
Transfer to a fondue pot and serve with desired dippers.


Cheddar cheese fondue:
The following ingredients for serving 4 to 6 person. I used half of the ingredients for a small family like us.

2 cups milk
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons ground dry mustard
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
some favorite choices of vegetables, garlic bread, tortilla chips etc.

Place a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix together milk, soy sauce, crusted garlic and mustard. In another bowl coat the  cheddar cheese with flour. Then add into the warm mixture. Cook stirring frequently, until melted, about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and black pepper. Continue cooking until all ingredients are well blended, about 10 minutes.
Transfer mixture to a double boiler or fondue pot to keep warm while serving.



11 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Nice to hear from you, so long did not drop by here..The first time I tried cheese fondue pot was in Switzerland. They did not provide as many ingredients like what you have here..So your pot definitely better than them.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hello Sonia, 
I really miss blogging with you guys, if I'm not mistaken we are in the same batch of blogging generation the pass few years but me is so outdated couldn't manage to blog so frequently after gave birth. 
Beside, I thought my ingredients is not much because only feed three of us. I think more ingredients would be more fun and also encourage my son to try all kind of food. Ok, really nice chatting with you here. Thanks for dropping to leave a message. Have a good day ahead!

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Hi grace,
Nice to see you blog again. Cheese fondue and chocolate fondue are very popular where I stay.
But I always think they are very fattening. :)

Btw, I'm not sure whether you have heard of rice cooker cakes, but may I invite you to join the challenge on my blog? :)

http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2014/03/rice-cooker-cake-challenge-1-are-you.html

Cheers,
Miss B @ EEWIF.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hello Miss B,
Thanks for dropping here to leave me a message. For your rice cooker challenge I don't think I able to make it because I don't own a rice cooker at home. All these while I steam my rice in a steamer. So sorry, perhaps I could try your next challenge of baking ok. Thanks!

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Hi Grace,
No worries that you can't participate. Almost all of the rice cooker cakes can be steamed in steamer. Just sharing the recipes with you if you are interested ( have quite a few steamed cakes) since I have used some of your recipes with great success. :)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Miss B,
May I know which recipe from me did you use for steaming? I wish to try it out.

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Grace,
The recipes that I used include the polo bun bread dough, how to make red bean paste and Xmas log cake. I didn't use any steamed cake recipes from your blog, what I meant was I have learnt a lot from your recipes, and my blog has a few steamed cake recipes if you are interested. But of cos can't compared to your collection of cake recipes lah....:)

Kitchen Corner said...

Ho Ho Ho. ... B! So sorry I misunderstanding your message. I would love to try out your steam cake recipe as I think it is much healthier. Beside, don't ever compare because I'm still learning from all of you!

yummyfoodbook said...

Hi Grace,

I am Dariel from yummyfoodbook. We love to read your blog and cake recipe. Just to check if it is possible to add my blog link http://www.yummyfoodbook.com/ under your other kitchen Column? We are doing up the blog roll page for my blog and will add your lovely blog in our blogroll page too. We look forward for your reply and thank you so much! :)

I can be contacted at email: yummyfoodbook@yahoo.com

Cheers,
Dariel

Kitchen Corner said...

Sure Daniel, please go ahead. Cheers!

Kitchen Corner said...

I've just added you in my (others kitchen) blog roll. Good day!