Kitchen Corner

October 1, 2010

Beef Stew


Since I don't have any special baking activities recently, I decided to post up my daily cooking here to keep you remember me :) I've stew quite often at home but never think of taking any pictures of it until my hubby mention to me. 
As I don't have a proper casserole which can be used on the hob to the oven, my stew was cooked in a normal pan then transfer to a slow cooker for further cooking process. I love to make stew simply because it's a one dish meal as it's easy to prepare and serve. Furthermore, it could be turned into different type of pie dish, either bake it with mashed potato, sliced potato, pastry or just have it straight with rice, pasta or mash that would not make me bore about it. I find the stew always taste better after the day it's cooked, so I normally cook more to keep in the fridge or freezer. Some people like to cook stew with stout but it's not for me and my hubby. So I use homemade chicken or beef broth to replace it, we love  it so much! Bon Appetit!


Recipe from Jamie Oliver. (I've slightly amended the recipe to suit our appetite)

Trim the ends off 1 big stick of celery and roughly chop • Peel and roughly chop 1 onions • Peel 1 carrots, slice lengthways and roughly chop • Put a casserole pan on a medium heat, fry 2 slices of chopped streaky bacon until slightly golden brown • Put all the vegetables1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary and thyme and the 2 dried bay leaves into the pan with 2 lugs of olive oil and fry for 10 minutes
 Add 300g beef  (cut into approximately 2cm cubesand 1 tablespoon flour • Pour in 1 cup of chicken stock and 1 cup diced can tomatoes • Give it a good stir, then season with some sea salt and a few grinds of black pepper • Bring to the boil, put the lid on and either simmer slowly on your hob or cook in an 180C preheated oven for 3 hours • Remove the lid for the final half hour of simmering or cooking • When done, your meat should be tender and delicious • Remember to remove the bay leaves before serving, and taste it to see if it needs a bit more salt and pepper • You can eat your stew as it is with some mash potato and green peas at the side, or you can use it for pasta or even turn it into a beef pie. 

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace, your beef stew/pie looks so yummilious. Btw did you make your own pie pastry or you buy the ready made one?

Alice

Honey Bee Sweets said...

This beef stew pot pie looks so comforting Grace! I will be glad to have this anyday! Btw, who can forget such a sweet girl like you?? Don't worry so much okay, blog when you feel like it.

Bakericious said...

Hi Grace, you feeling better now? The beef stew looks salivating, this is the dish that my husband will love :).

Karen said...

Your beef stew pie looks amazing. Perfect comfort food for cool weather! Yum! Great dish.

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
This beef stew looks wondefully good! I suppose it takes a lot of effort to prepare it ya? I like it with pie though. Take your time to blog, don't hurry. You won't be forgotten, definitely! :) Hope to see more of your foods though.

ReeseKitchen said...

Hi Grace, this stew looks very tempting. I love to stew too, I find it's easy like you said...one dish meal..;p And I don't have to clean up the stove so much..haha! Thanks for sharing..:)

The Experimental Cook said...

I love this dish, anytime. How do you make the top crust? Is it pastry that you used ?

Anonymous said...

This looks like a warm, hearty meal!

Pei-Lin said...

Grace, no worries! You're remembered and have been missed! HAHA! Your hubby is so right! You should start sharing your daily dishes with us! Not just bakes! We know you can cook so well!

I love stew, too! It's flavorful. You're right. I can take stew all by itself as a meal. A comfort food indeed.

Cooking Gallery said...

Beautiful looking stew, Grace! The pies look very appetising as well!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

This stew sounds perfect. So great for fall! I'm be making this soon :)

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

Edith said...

I love stew too coz it is easy esp for small family.

But your idea of turning it into pie is awesome.

Angie's Recipes said...

Yummy! My husband is going to love this!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

What a hearty stew and great idea to turn this into a pie! 一菜多用!

pigpigscorner said...

Looks so tasty and comforting! and the pastry...yum

Elin Chia said...

Grace..this is lovely. Have KIV this to my to do list :) Love stew,what more a stew pie !!! Great, you should share more of your daily cooking with us * wink

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

I love beef stew! Definitely a fall favorite. Yours looks really good :)

Umm Mymoonah said...

Just by looking at your header I can see how good is your cooking skills. Stew looks delicious. I just love your fougasse. Awesome looking blog.

Food For Tots said...

Your stew looks fantastic and the pie looks even more tempting. A great one dish meal for everyone! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,

I have noticed that all your pictures are very well taken!
Are you a photographer as well?
what camera and lenses are you using.

Rgs
June

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi June,
Thanks! But, I'm not a photographer and using very ordinary small Nikon camera.

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

I love stew, especially in the fall, and this sounds perfect! Bookmarked!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls