Kitchen Corner

November 1, 2010

Playing with my new toy!


I received a x'mas present from my hubby quite early this year, a Waffle Maker! That's what I've dreamed for some times ago and every time I pass by the Mayer shop, I would stand there looking at it for a few minutes. My hubby always got headache when thinking what to buy for my x'mas present but this year he settled it quite fast haha... We can't wait to try out the waffle maker, so I quickly flipped through a Belgian waffle recipe from 西点学习大百科.  This recipe highlight that original Belgian waffle normally made by yeast instead of baking powder and soda bicarbonate that I found is quite different. Since this is a Belgian waffle maker, I think this recipe would goes well with it.

I like this waffle maker because it had a deep pocket of baking plates which will make the waffle much thicker and crispy too! The result wasn't disappoint me as the waffles had a crispy texture at the outside and remain a fluffy crumbs. As this is my first attempt, I've no experience  on its heating temperature, the color of the waffles is slightly dark, so I think I would turn the heat down to slightly lower next round. I served it with my homemade chocolate snicker ice cream and cream cheese ice cream, brilliant! 


Recipe to make 4 pieces to fit in a Cuisinart Belgium waffle maker:

150g plain flour
3g instant dry yeast
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
150ml fresh milk
50g sour cream
1 egg
30g unsalted butter (melted)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Mix plain flour, yeast, sugar and salt together. Gradually add in milk, then sour cream, eggs follow by the melted butter and vanilla extract.
  2. Combine the mixture until a smooth batter then cover with cling film. Let the batter proof for 1 hour. 
  3. After an hour, the batter will appear some bubbles on the surface and the batter is almost double up. Use a spatula to mix with a folding method until the bubbles disappear. 
  4. Preheat the waffle maker then  pour in the batter until cook. (I followed the user menu instruction) 
  5. Serve it with honey, maple syrup or ice cream. Enjoy!
PS: The waffles will turn soft once it cool down. Toast it in a preheated 160C oven for 1 or 2 minutes to get back its crispiness. It can be kept in an airtight container  at room temperature for 24 hours or keep in the freezer for 2 weeks according to the recipe. But, fresh one always the best! Cheers!

34 comments:

Pei-Lin said...

Grace, your hubby so sayang you leh ... LOL! Envy, LOL!

Next time, no need to have headache lar ... I'll tell him to ask you directly ... Haha! Plus, with a new toy each time, he gets treated with yummy home-made dishes ... That's a good deal! See! LOL!

Agree, that's a super early X'mas present. LOL!

Cooking Gallery said...

My husband has been bugging me to make him some waffles ;), but I don't have my waffle machine in Germany. I guess I really should buy one and make him happy, hahaha ;)!

ReeseKitchen said...

Wah...you are so lucky to receive what you've been dreaming for. Wonder what will I get for this X'mas...haha!
Btw, I was thinking to get a waffle maker too, might go look for somthing like yours..heehee!

Angie's Recipes said...

These look so crispy! Ice cream atop makes the waffle to perfection!

Min said...

Oh, I like your waffle, looks very crispy. Actually I wanted to buy a waffle machine, but couldn't find the one I like and the choices at my place are limited.

Jo said...

I'm so envious because I love, love waffles. Imagine having this for Sunday breakfast!

Anonymous said...

What a fun toy! That will make plenty of good breakfasts to come!

Bakertan said...

hey grace,

nice toy you have there. I also want haha. Still got homemade ice cream to go along. Sounds like gelare waffle with ice cream but home made version. I bet this is better than Gelare's, makes me crave for it.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Wah, early Christmas present! But I was going to say this does not count because the waffle maker is for both of you to enjoy so technically, not your present :-D....

Swee San said...

Haha i have the same waffle maker.. I made a few waffles, with yeast and with normal baking powder.. But not with sour cream yet, so gonna try this recipe..

ann low said...

Grace, your husband is so sweet to get you this new toy for Christmas. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Bakericious said...

Grace, your husband so sweet! I think my xmas present shd be a fridge, now waiting for me to choose the model but I am too busy recently, just hope the fridge will suddenly appear in the house hahaha... the waffle looks good too, your description sound alike what I had the best waffle B4. I dun really like waffle until tried the best delicious waffle so far in my life in one of the Indo province. The waffle was crisp outside and soft inside, strong buttery taste. The 3 days I stayed in that hotel, every morning breakfast will be waffles. Until today,

Jihyeon said...

you do hv a nice hubby....
know exactly what you always want.

liza jb said...

hai grace,, just wnt to know the price of the waffle maker n did u get it frm mayer outlet,,,

Happy Flour said...

I also wanted to get one of this. Now I'm still thinking of a reason to convince him to get one for me.

Baking Fiend said...

The recipe sounds fab! will give this a try.

Allie said...

Ooooh this is so cool! I've been wanting a waffle maker for the longest time. Your waffles are so delicious!

Tiffany said...

umm...i'm going to buy a waffle maker tomorrow >.<

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

I love love love my waffle maker! Happy you got one... and with ice cream... oh my :)

Great blog!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

Small Small Baker said...

Grace, so sweet of your husband! This waffle maker is my dream gadget too. Imagine fresh homemade waffles on a sunday morning. Nice present. :)

WendyinKK said...

It's much better to get something that we want, rather to to be given something for the sake of giving. Your husband is very smart to get you a ktichen apparatus, then he gets to eat more from you :)
I am itching to get one too, I'll wait and point this to him the next time I ever see one.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

you have a good husband who knows what you want, happy playing with your new waffle makers.

Suhaina said...

waffle has come out very nicely.yumm.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Grace, very sweet of your hubby to get the waffle maker for you. ;) You know I too have a waffle maker from US, but because of the power difference, I have to shelf it. Then last moth, my hubby bought another one for me, but a smaller version, just 2 waffles per time. I am still thrilled about it and I already have a write up but no time to post it. :P Hope you won't mind if I did post something so similar to yours. ;))

Passionate About Baking said...

Woah Grace, I'm drooling over your Cuisinart Waffle Maker!! I've always been wanted to buy one waffle maker, and haven't find a cheap and good one. I can only touch and feel Cuisinart when I see one. And now you have it! Ooh, I can't wait to go to your house to see, feel and have a waffle out of it! Hahaha... When are you inviting me over? Your waffles look soooo good! Yummy.

mr. pineapple man said...

this reminds me...i should make more waffles!!

Edith said...

your hubby is really observant and sweet but I agree with what Shirley said. hahah... next time, stand outside Larry's and keep staring at the diamonds.....hehehehe Juz kidding....

The Experimental Cook said...

Lucky that you have such a sweet hubby! I would love to have fresh waffles at home but this toy is not cheap to come by.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wowow!!! I have being looking for a good recipe to use my waffle maker too... after seeing yours!!!! I feel like making it straight away...yours is double "thumbs" up~!

Cooking Gallery said...

I just passed you an award. Please feel free to pick it up if you wish :)!

Elin Chia said...

Whoa...I think I will stand in front of the waffle maker the next time I am at the electrical department and hint hint hint * wink . Grace ,you just gave me an idea :)

Enjoy your new toy...your ice cream on the waffles look mouth-watering :) Hubby untung getting you this...he gets to eat fresh waffles for breakfast :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,

I just got a Kenwood Waffle Maker for by BD yesterday. Looking forward to try this recipe in the near future.

Thanks for sharing. :)))

Regards,
Lynn

sawa said...

Funny, those look just like normal waffles you get at every supermarket in Germany. The Belgian waffles I saw in many European countries are a lot thicker, less soft and almost shiny from all the sugar in them.. anyway, you really made me want some of those waffles now! I miss them in Norway. Maybe I should just try the recipe...

Alethea said...

Hi grace may I know where your hubby bot this model and what brand of waffle maker this is?