Happy Christmas to all my supportive readers!
May this Christmas bring you LOVE, JOY and PEACE!
Beside, I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #2: Christmas! Dec 2010 for Jane @ Passionate About Baking
Recipe for Christmas log cake 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷
Plain sponge (size 36cm x 26cm) x 2 :
Unsalted butter 40g
Egg yolk 100g
Caster sugar 20g
Egg white 160g
Caster Sugar 75g
Plain flour 55g
Recipe for the the swiss meringue butter cream, please refer to Baking Library. That's very good recipe indeed!
- Prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper. Melt the butter than set a side to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks with sugar in a double boiler until thicken and pale in color.
- In another bowl whisk the egg whites with caster sugar until peak foam.
- Fold the egg yolks into the egg whites then gently fold in the shifted flour.
- Pour some mixture (4) into a clean bowl then mix in the melted butter until well combine. Pour back into the mixture of (4) and mix gently until everything well combine.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking tray and spread evenly. I put the mixture into a piping bag to pipe out the mixture.
- Bake at 190C for 10 - 12 minutes. Be careful not to over bake it.
- Remove the cake from the baking tray immediate when it out from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Tear out the side of the baking paper and let it completely cool down and ready to use.
- Cut sponges into 3 portions, you will get 6 portions by making 2 sheets of sponge.
- Whip 400ml whipping cream with 50g nutella. Spread some the nutella cream and roll up the first sheet. Let it stand upright then spread the others sponge with nutella cream then place another sheet of sponge around the first one. Continue the process and you will get about 8 to 9 inches round cake.
- Spread some meringue butter cream around the cake and decorate with snow man or Christmas trees. Happy Christmas!
Updated on 26th December 2010
This log cake was baked two days before Xmas and it served on a potluck party on 25th Dec Xmas evening. I'm so glad that the outcome is really good with plenty of positive comments from my guests. The sponge cake stayed soft, light, fluffy and moist on the 3rd day and even the 4th days from it's made. I think the recipe of separated eggs sponge recipe from 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 is a winner. Beside, the fresh cream whipped with small amount of nutella for the filling makes the cake light and tasty which you won't feel greasy at all. The edges butter meringue cream is also well accepted by all my guests as it's light and not sugary sweet. All thanks to Baking Library for sharing the butter meringue cream. This log cake had given a happy ending for everyone in the potluck party. Here is a small piece of leftover log cake for my boxing day on 26 Dec. Look forward to the year 2011 and Happy New Year to all my supportive readers! Cheers!