Someone asked me is this a Japanese Cotton Cheesecake (JCC)?
No, it is not. This is much fragile than a JCC. It is exactly like a soufflé dessert that served in ramkins and the texture is moist and light that melt in the mouth in no time. It was deconstructed and baked into cake form so that it can be served cold and in portions but still remaining the soufflé texture. Of course it can be served hot just like a normal soufflé but I personally like it cold and imagine you won't be able to finish such a big soufflé. Don't worry about the shrinkage as it is just like a normal soufflé will shrink upon cool down. Anyway, it's still a superb cake from texture to flavour especially the marble mocha absolutely a bonus.
As it is a fragile dessert, a thin slice of sponge cake was placed at the bottom to hold the batter nicely. Beside, some melted dark chocolate was brushed on the sponge cake as well that helps the soufflé stick with the sponge also to enhamce the flavour.
Video recipe available at my YouTube channel or written recipe is at the bottom. Hope you like it and happy baking!
Video recipe @
Recipe for 9 inches round pan:
250g cream cheese
70ml whippping cream
90g unsalted butter
50g caster sugar
45g corn flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 egg yolks
6 egg whites
100g caster sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp granulated coffee
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp hot water
100g Melted dark chocolate
1 thin slice of 9 inches sponge cake fit into the cake pan lined with parchment paper at the bottom and sides.
Preheat the oven to 160C with a tray of cold water.
- Melt cream cheese, whipping cream, milk and butter over double boiler. Add in sugar, corn flour, vanilla and egg yolks then stir well. Stir occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg white and lemon juice in another clean bowl until mixture forms soft peaks. Gradually add in the sugar, continue beating until stiff peaks foam.
- Gently and gradually fold the egg whites into cheese mixture until well combined.
- Mix the hot water with cocoa and coffee until a paste. Combine 80g of cheese mixture with the coffee paste.
- Place a sponge cake into a lose bottom baking pan. Brush the melted chocolate on the cake until all covered.
- Pour 1/3 vanilla cheese mixture into cake tin. Drizzle some coffee mixture over the surface. Continue add half of the remaining cheese mixture then drizzle some coffee mixture again. Finally pour the remaining cheese mixtures on the top and drizzle the rest of coffee mixture on top. Draw marble pattern with skewer.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160C for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 120C and continue bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Then turn off the heat, leave the cake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool at room temperature then chill in the fridge for overnight before serve. Cut with a hot knife, best serve cold.