Kitchen Corner

August 23, 2015

Profusion Roll 缤纷香卷

Thinking of whether or not to post this recipe as it did not turn out nicely. But finally I did it so as a record and reference for my future attempt.


This is my favorite childhood cake that baked by my dear mum. We always feel so impress whenever mum make this cake. Not only it looks pretty and also yummy as it's served cold.

We miss this cake over the years but mum said she already retired from the kitchen and she lost the recipe too. Oh dear, how can I figure out the recipe as my siblings keep begging me to make this as mum did. With my eye close and head bow over days and nights, trying to recall and imaging how mum did it when I was just 5 years old. Could you imagine how difficult to recall everything after 30 years? Oppss.. I've accidentally mention my age. Hehe....
With my limited baking knowledge and experience, I started to plan from the sponge cake with color using ogura cake recipe.


As for the cream, I knock my head and keep turning my tongue to recall which cream should it be sandwiched in the cake. I am glad that I able to recall the texture and start with experiment with swiss meringue butter cream.


My very first attempt on this cake is quite disappointed for me as I didn't assemble it as nice as mum did. The roll should be in very square shape and each colors inside the roll should be neatly arranged. When my mum saw the cake she knew what went wrong and that tips really help me for my next attempt. The cream between the gaps of each color cakes is too much. It should be half of the cream that I spread so that the color cakes looks more appealing not the cream.


Layer and stacking every strips of the colored cakes really not an easy job. The ogura cake is very light and soft to handle and spreading the cream on them has to be gentle too.

The cake doesn't look neat and nice that my hearts drop into deep sea. However, a little award from the texture and taste that won back a little smile on my face. Closing my eye to have every bite of the cake really feel like I'm eating mama' s wonderful cake. Now, I got to practice until it is well presented and serve my siblings and relatives with mama wonderful creation during Xmas.

Colored ogura cake 36 x 27 cm baking tray

(A)
Vegetable oil 45g
Full cream Milk 60ml
Salt 1/4tsp
Egg yolk 100 g
Whole egg 1
Cake flour 65 g
(B)
Egg white 200g
Caster sugar 65g
Tartar powder 1/2 tsp

1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon green tea matcha powder
2 tablespoon raspberry puree


  1. Line the base of a pan with baking paper. Divide three rectangular portion into about 12 X 27cm shape with baking paper. 
  2. Mix together ingredients (A). Weight the batter and sperate them into 3 bowls with equal portions. 
  3. Mix in the cocoa powder to a portion, green tea another portion and raspberry puree for another portion. Combine well and set aside.
  4. Beat the egg whites until frothy then add the tartar powder. Gradually add in the caster sugar in 3 batches and keep beating until stiff peak foam. The meringue is slightly curd to one side when the whisk is lifted up and presenting smooth shinny texture.
  5. Weight and divide the meringue into 3 portions and fold them into mixture (A) until well combined. 
  6. Pour into the prepared pan each color a roll. Put a tray at the lowest rack in the oven then pour enough of hot water. Place the batter on the second lower rack then steam bake at 160C preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
  7. After baked, remove the cake from the oven and unmould and tear of the baking paper and then cool on a wire rack.
  8. Once they completely cool down, cut the colored ogura cake into 3 portions and each strips is equally 2 cm thickness. Total is 3 green strips, 3 brown strips and 3 pink strips.ain vanilla sponge roll 38cm x 27cm baking tray

Unsalted butter 40g
Egg yolk 100g
Caster sugar 20g
Egg white 160g
Caster Sugar 75g
Plain flour 55g

  • Prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper. Melt the butter than set a side to cool.
  • Whisk the egg yolks with sugar in a double boiler until thicken and pale in color. In another bowl whisk the egg whites with caster sugar until peak foam.
  • Fold the egg yolks into the egg whites then gently fold in the shifted flour.
  • Pour some egg mixture into a clean bowl then mix in the melted butter until well combine.  Pour back into the egg mixture and mix gently until everything well combine.
  • Pour the batter into prepared baking tray and spread evenly. Bake at 190C for 12 minutes. Remove the cake from the baking tray immediate when it out from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Tear out the side of the baking paper and let it completely cool down and ready to use.
Swiss meringue butter cream

200 g sugar
120 g egg white
340 g unsalted butter, soft but not too soft

Mix egg white and sugar in a double boiler with hand whisk. Stir until the sugar dissolved.

Remove form the double boiler and beat with electric mixer until stiff peak foam.

Change to a K hook blade start beating at medium high speed and gradually add in butter a cube at a time until a smooth and spreadable cream.

To assemble the cake:

Place the vanilla sponge cake on a piece of cling wrap which is bigger than itself. The sponge cake brown side face up.

Spread about 6 cm wide of SMB on the vanilla sponge  at the left side then place a strips of brown ogura cake at the left side on the cream. Thinly spread some cream around the brown cake then place a strip of green cake beside the brown cake. Spread thinly with cream then place a pink cake on the side. Spread some cream around it. 

Follow the same way above make the second layer start from green, pink and brown then the third layer pink, brown and green. 

Spread evenly the side left, right and top of the layered cake then gently fold the vanilla sponge cake over from right to left. Press lightly and use little cream to seal the gap. Cling wrap the roll and keep refrigerate for overnight. 

Trim the side and slice the cake with a sharp knife straight away down. Do not saw the cake. It is best serve cold.





No comments: