Kitchen Corner

August 24, 2009

Coffee Bread

Water roux dough again :P My first attempt on coffee bread making. This is a bread that rich in coffee flavour and super soft. It's nice to serve during tea time when it's freshly bake from the oven. I hardly resist the smell of coffee and I ate a whole loaf of it for my afternoon tea. It's not as soft as the freshly bake on the second day but here is my tips of making it soft again. Preheat your oven to 120C for 10 minutes, turn it off then place the whole loaf of bread into the oven and close the door. Let it warm in the oven for five minutes. Took it out from the oven and enjoy the taste of freshly made soft bread. Enjoy!
Recipe for two loaf of 19cm x 8cm x4.5cm:
190g bread flour 44g caster sugar 2g salt 4g yeast 20g lightly beaten eggs 50g milk 12g instant coffee 60 water roux dough (refer to water roux formula) 20g unsalted butter some nibbed almond or flake almond
Recipe for the water dough "water roux": Cook 250g water with 50g bread flour at medium low heat, keep stirring until it become thicken and no lumps left. If you've a candy thermometer, measure it until the temperature turn to 65C then turn of the heat. I didn't measure it with thermometer, so I cook it until like a baby porridge. Transfer to a clean bowl and cover with a cling wrap to avoid skin forming. The amount of water dough here would be more than a recipe required, you could store it in a the fridge for 2 days, if the color turn to dark grey, feed the bin :P OK OK don't waste it, use it for making other doughs before it turn to dark grey color OK!
Methods:
  1. Combine all the buns ingredients except butter for kneading until smooth dough. Add butter and continue the kneading process until smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it's no longer sticking at the side of the mixing bowl. Let it proof for 40 minutes in a clean bowl cover with cling wrap.
  2. Divide the dough into even size of 12 portions and let it rest for 10 minutes. Shape the doughs into a ball shape and place on a loaf tray and let the dough proof for 40 minutes.
  3. Egg wash the dough and sprinkle some almond flakes and bake at 180C preheated oven for 15 minutes, enjoy!

14 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Yummy looking coffee loaf! Ai ya, I have not get to make the your roti boy recipe (coffee buns) yet...more backlogs! Thanks for sharing again. ;D

Snooky doodle said...

Oh I m a coffee addict and surely I wouldn t resist this magnificent bread either. Looks so good!

visit my new blog at http://snookysrecipedoodles.blogspot.com/

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
I would like to have a few slices of your coffee breads...Topped with almond flakes seemed so perfect!

MH said...

Your loaf looks so pretty with the almond flakes and the box too! :)

Federica Simoni said...

complimenti! delizioso!

Missy said...

i can smell the aroma of the coffeew bread from my pc :)

ICook4Fun said...

I just love all your bake goods. The look soft and pretty. Great job Grace.

quizzine said...

wow, so many water roux recipes. i gonna try them out too!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
Thanks for your kind words! This coffee loaf had the different texture and taste from the roti boy. Both had its own special taste. I would add some rainsin into this coffee loaf next time to get extra texture and sweetness.

Hi Snooky doodle,
Thanks for your lovely words! I'm sure you'll like it.

Hi MH,
Thanks for your compliments! I bought these loaf boxes quite some time ago that I haven't got a chance to use it until I used this recipe require about the size to fit the dough. I got it from Gina's shop "Kitchen Kapers".

Hi Federica,
Hi Missy,
Hi ICook4Fun,
Thanks for all your lovely words! Cheers!

Hi quizzine,
Yea, I've been trying many water roux recipes recently. Hope you'll like the recipes too! Cheers!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Jane,
Thanks for your lovely words! I feel so encourage as you still be able to drop by to give some comments. I really miss your baking :)

Elin Chia said...

Hi Grace,
This is awesome...I also want to try water roux method...I am infected by you already...haha I will definitely going to try this method. Thanks for your wonderful sharing. Love your blog!

Cheers,
Elin

Peabody said...

Mmm, what a gorgeous loaf that turned out to be.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Elin,
Hi Peabody,
Thanks! Hope you'll like this recipe. Enjoy!

zxc said...

What coffee did you used for this recipe? Instant coffee granules or something like Nescafe 2in1 in sachets? I used 12g Douwe Egberts Black and it was too strong , the taste of coffee is overwhelming.