Kitchen Corner

September 12, 2009

Chocolate Cupcakes

Here my first attempt on making cupcakes. I would normally make muffins however I was tempted by Piggy's cupcakes as it looks very pretty and yummy! I didn't manage to make it pretty due to my poor decoration and piping skills. I should buy some ready decoration fondant next time.

Anyway, I'm very surprise with the texture, it's very soft and fluffy. I reduced 3/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar, it taste just nice for me. Thanks Piggy's sharing the recipe and tips. I like this cupcakes very much and definitely will make it as a gift for my friends and love ones.

INGREDIENTS (recipe from CB's blog) Makes 12 cupcakes (I make 9 cupcakes) For the cupcake: 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1/4 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt

1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature 3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup) 1 large egg 1 large egg yolk 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract 1/2 cup buttermilk (I used milk) 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled For the glaze: 3 oz bittersweet chocolate 1 tbsp confectioners’ sugar, sifted 2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Fit the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan with paper muffin cups, or butter them with flour and tap out the excess.
  2. To make the cupcakes—Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter at medium speed until soft and creamy. Add the sugar and beat for about 2 minutes, until it is blended into the butter. Add the egg, then the yolk, beating 1 minute after each addition and scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Beat in the vanilla, then reduce the mixer speed to low and add half the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear. Scrape down the bowl and add the buttermilk, mixing until incorporated, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Scrape down the bowl, add the melted chocolate and mix it in with the rubber spatula. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin molds.
  3. Bake for 22 minutes, or until the tops of the cakes are dry and springy to the touch and a knife inserted into their centers comes out clean. Transfer the muffin pan to a rack and let the cakes cool for 5 minutes before unmolding. Cool to room temperature on the rack before glazing.
  4. To make the glaze—Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of shimmering water. Transfer the bowl to the counter and let stand for 5 minutes. Using a small whisk or rubber spatula, stir the confectioners’ sugar into the chocolate, followed by the pieces of cold butter. The glaze may be very thin at this point or may be perfectly spreadable. If it is too thin to spread or use as a dip (I often dip the tops of the cakes into the ganache, then give the cakes a little twirl as I pull them out, so they have a squiggle of glaze in the center), stir it over ice water for a few seconds – really less than a minute. With a small metal icing spatula, give each cupcake a crown of shiny ganache, and let the glaze set at room temperature (or in the fridge if you are in a hurry). If the ganache loses its gloss and you miss it, give the tops of the cakes a puff of hot air from a hairdryer right before serving.

7 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

these look nice and yummy! I like how you decorated them :) great cupcakes for the first attempt.
this is my new blog http://snookysrecipedoodles.blogspot.com/

Mary said...

They are so delicious!

Federica Simoni said...

mmmm...che delizia!!

Olivia said...

Great cupcakes.. so beautiful

thecoffeesnob said...

These look perfect the way they are!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I am sure my kids and husband will love this, thanks for sharing, will try out soon.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hello! Thanks for everyone compliments! I'm looking forward to bake more cupcakes. Anyone can share strawberry or blueberry cupcakes with me?