Kitchen Corner

March 24, 2010

Whole Wheat Bolognese Pizza



I like the bolognese sauce recipe from Jamie Oliver. It's very simple yet delicious! Once  the bolognese sauce has cooked, it can be stored in the freezer and use at anytime especially when I feel lazy to cook, so it's good to cook extra. Simply cook some pasta then mix it with the bolognese sauce, job done for my lazy day.
Another way to do is, which I've just realized that bolognese sauce go so well with a cheesy pizza. What I did is just to spread the sauce on a pizza dough and sprinkle all kind of cheeses that I've in the fridge and bake.  To add a bit of the goodness for my pizza, I make a whole wheat pizza dough to go with it. The whole wheat pizza dough really surprise me as the crust texture is very delicious and crispy. I make the bolognese sauce a bit spicy as I add in some chili at the earlier stage. So, the crusty whole wheat pizza, the spicy bolognese sauce and all the cheeses... what to say.... simply the best! 
Recipe for the whole wheat pizza dough:  In a mixing bowl, add 100g bread flour, 100g whole wheat flour, 10g caster sugar, half teaspoon of salt, half teaspoon of instant dry yeast and 110g water. Knead all the ingredients until they become a crumbly consistency then add in 10g olive oil.  Continue to knead until  smooth springy soft dough, cover it with cling film and let it rest for 1 hour. Divide the dough up into two equal portion and roll them into two of 8 inches round baking pan. Let them rest for 15 minutes. Spread the bolognese sauce onto the pizza dough then sprinkle with some freshly grated cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Continue to proof for another 15 minutes. Bake the pizza at lower rack in the oven at 220 preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. 
Recipe for the bolognese sauce: Finely slice 2 rashes of smoked streaky bacon, peel and finely chop 2 medium onion, garlic, carrots, celery and a fresh chili. Place a large casserole-type pan on a medium to high heat. Add 2 lugs of olive oil with the sliced bacon and 2 heaped teaspoons dried oregano and cook until bacon is slightly golden. Add the chopped veg to the pan and stir every 30 seconds for around 7 minutes or until softened and lightly colored. Stir in 250g mince beef and 250g mince pork together with 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes. Fill both empty tins with water and add to the pan. Stir in a good pinch of salt and pepper. Finely chop a small punch basil stalks and stir into the pan. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer with a lid on for about an hour, stirring every now and again to stop it catching. Remove the bolognese sauce from the heat. Finely grate 100 gram parmesan and stir half into the sauce. Tear and stir in any larger basil leaves, keeping the smaller ones for sprinkling over before serving. Mix up everything and taste and season with a little more salt and pepper if needed. At this stage you can allow it to cool, bag it up and freeze it, or eat it straight away with your pasta or pizza. 

28 comments:

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hahaha...what coincidence Grace! I made bolognese sauce for spaghetti lunch just now and now working on my pizza dough for pizza tonight using the same sauce! Great minds think alike!! Have a good one!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Grace, this look so delicious, Thanks for the tip, I gonna to make some bolognese sauce for my next pizza.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, HBS, guess what, I am waiting for the minced beef to be fully defrost, planning to make bolognese sauce with wholemeal spaghetti for dinner tonight! I have also planned to make pizza for our weekend lunch, will love to try Grace's wholemeal pizza base :)

Passionate About Baking said...

Wow Grace, this is such a healthy indulgence! I've not tried wholemeal pizza before, and I'm going to try this! It just looks so good! I see you're getting more and more health conscious already! ;)

Quinn said...

Grace, the pizza looks great and what a special topping. You know, I'm now thinking whether I should make nasi lemak pizza, top with sambal (chili jam), anchovies and eggs and also shredded curry chicken pieces everywhere! I'm crazy!

Pei-Lin said...

Boy, it looks damn good! Been craving for some pasta lately! Grace, thanks for sharing the recipe for Bolognese sauce! Gonna try it! Thank you!

ReeseKitchen said...

hee hee! I also thinking to make pizza this weekend..:) Thanks for the idea for the sauce...^-^

ICook4Fun said...

It has been a while since I made pizza. But lazy me just used the store bought sauce for it. It is a great idea to cook a big badge of sauce and make a few yummy meals out of it.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Your pizza looks really delicious. Perfect for friends gathering!! I recently had some very thin, almost taco-like Japanese pizza. Very yummy. If you know to make those crust, do share :)

tigerfish said...

I love pasta bolognese...so I am for pizza bolognese, definitely.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow!!! I love pizza and your "bolognese sauce" pizza look realli delicious!!!! Full of toppings :)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hello Honey Bee Sweets & Happy Homebaker,
WOW! Is it a Bolognese celebration? Everyone seems like making the same thing! Hope you ladies like the whole wheat pizza dough. Do remember to bake the pizza at lower rack of your oven so that the pizza base can be crisped up. Happy cooking!

Hi Sonia,
Hope you like the bolognese sauce recipe from Jamie Oliver. I did add a teaspoon of soy sauce and sugar for better texture. Try it ya!

Hi Jane,
I find myself not that healthy but sometimes got to have some goodness beside the naughty stuffs haha.. The pizza base is quite nice and crusty for me, you got to chew it longer as it's whole wheat one. Hope you will like the recipe. Cheers!

Hi Quinn,
Wow!! I think you should make the sambal one so that I can learn from your recipe. Looking forward to try your recipe ok. Thanks!

Hi Pei Lin,
Hope you like this Jamie's recipe. I did add a teaspoon of soy sauce and sugar for better texture. Season it well and try it ya! Cheers!

Hi ICook4Fun,
Ya, Jamie teach to cook big badge for freezing. That's really convenient! Hope you like it!

Hi Shirley,
Oh yea! That's a good idea for friends gathering! By the way, I didn't know how to make the very thin "taco" pizza. Can you share with me the recipe please? I would like to try it out. Thank you!

Hi tigerfish,
Oh yea.. if you are a pasta blognese lover, you will like this pizza!

Hi Cuisine Paradise,
Thanks for your support and lovely words!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Grace, what a great idea! I cook bolognese sauce often for my kids and I'm sure they'll like it in their pizzas. Like you, I freeze the extras. For an even lazier day, I use wholemeal pita/flatbread as base instead of DIY dough. Thanks for sharing this, a great time saver!

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Superb idea to make a pizza out of it.....this weekend is going to be a pizza one. I'll use left over meatloaf to make the bolognese! Thanks for the inspiration

Cosy Bake said...

Hi Grace,

I have blog the char siew recipe already. Hoep you will like it. cheers!

Anonymous said...

Wow it looks so good! How i wish i was good at kneading bread dough! The gluten structure doesn't seem to develop well for my dough so i am a bit intimidated at the thought of making it from scratch. You've got 2 tasty pizza there! I'll try your recipe and i hope it goes well!

Edith said...

Great idea. Healthy choice. Definitely going to try it out.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Grace, I made the wholewheat pizza base, it is very good! Except that my oven has got only one set of heating elements on top, the base is not as crisp, but the edges were nicely browned. I rolled the dough till wafer thin as I reaslised that the portion is quite small to feed my hungry family members, and the resulting crust was really thin, yum yum! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Blessed Homebaker,
I think the flatbread works very well with this bolognese sauce too! That's a very good idea. I should try it out with flat bread when I have no time to make a dough. Thanks!

Hi Kitchen Butterfly,
I hope you will like the idea and look forward to see your pizza soon!

Hi Honey Boy,
Thanks! I will give it a try. Cheers!

Hi Sweeter Side of Life,
Hi edith,
Thanks for dropping by here and hope you will like this pizza dough recipe.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi HHB,
Oppss.. how nice if the oven got the heating system from the bottom as it'll make a very crusty pizza base. Anyway, glad to know you enjoy it and willing to give it a try. Thanks!
Beside, one of my friend bake her pizza dough at a cooking pan at low heat until the base crisp up then make the topping and transfer to the oven continue to bake the cheese and toppings. May be it's another way to make a crusty pizza base :)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

I love making pizza, but have always been too lazy to make my own sauce. I'll have to give this a try. I'm sure it tastes way better than something from a bottle!

Food For Tots said...

My son loves pizza a lot. Your pizza looks so healthy yet mouth-watering! I must try it out soon.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Cookie baker Lynn,
Hi Food For Tots,
Thanks for dropping here to leave your lovely words! Hope you like the recipe. Cheers!

Elin Chia said...

Hi Grace, Thanks for the bolognese sauce recipe. Great idea to cook them in big portion too..extra can use it on spaghetti bolognese. :))

Elin Chia said...

Hi Grace,
Btw..I have a gift award for you, pls do drop by and collect it :))

Angie's Recipes said...

This would be a great weekend brunch for me!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your freezing tip but how to thaw and heat up the sauce? MH

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi MH,
Before I use the sauce, I would normally let it thaw at the room temperature for about an hour. Once it thaw then cook on a pan again.